testtest

Springfield Armory XD .40 Service Model Review

Nice Review... been a fan of the .40 Springfield XD's from back in 2000 when our department finally allowed other calibers besides 9mm... went to the gun store and bought 3 XD .40's that day... 5 inch tactical,(duty carry), 4in, (go bag), and a 3in, (ankle). Been using/shooting them without a jam since. And never went back to 9mm.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 193
I loved the XD Mod.2 series, so I figured I'd check out the XD's. The main knock I had against the .40 XD's was the magazine capacity. While the .45 ACP models had 13-round mags, and the 9mm had 16-round mags, the .40 S&W had 12-round mags. I'm not sure if I had ever seen the .45 ACP version of any pistol hold more rounds than the .40 S&W version.

I did notice that all of the basic XD models on Springfield's site are now "Low Capacity" models with 10-round magazines. I'm not sure why Springfield decided to punish residents of free states with limited capacity, but I'm assuming they have a reason. My .45 XD Mod.2 is still the most accurate polymer .45 that I have ever fired, and will always be one of my favorite pistols. I'd love to see the Mod.2 series come back, but without the "Grip Zone" text.

I loved the XD Mod.2 series, so I figured I'd check out the XD's. The main knock I had against the .40 XD's was the magazine capacity. While the .45 ACP models had 13-round mags, and the 9mm had 16-round mags, the .40 S&W had 12-round mags. I'm not sure if I had ever seen the .45 ACP version of any pistol hold more rounds than the .40 S&W version.

I did notice that all of the basic XD models on Springfield's site are now "Low Capacity" models with 10-round magazines. I'm not sure why Springfield decided to punish residents of free states with limited capacity, but I'm assuming they have a reason. My .45 XD Mod.2 is still the most accurate polymer .45 that I have ever fired, and will always be one of my favorite pistols. I'd love to see the Mod.2 series come back, but without the "Grip Zone" text.
Before it was discontinued they started making them without the "Grip Zone" text. It never bothered me personally. I agree mostly with your assessment of the Mod 2 4" service model .45. It is a tool however and I very much like the grip, how it feels in my hand and how it shoots. I never worried about the text as it affects nothing.

The XD Mod 2 40 is the most comfortable of my XDs. While the finger grooves were subtle, the texture wrapped around the side. The combo was a good handle on the firearm without obnoxious overly aggressive stippling.

I have an XD 3” 9mm compact, with the extended mag it’s not bad, just plain. I’ve seen a lot of folk putting grip tape/wraps on the full size due to the lack of texture on the sides. Shouldn’t have to glue sandpaper to your sidearm to keep a grip on it. The mod 2 was a better design.

That’s just my opinion.

Back