testtest

9mm vs 45ACP: The Ultimate Caliber Conundrum

horse.jpg

I have 2- .45 acp pistols, a 1911 and a Shield. I find the Shield to be soft shooting. I shoot more 9mm primarily due to cost and am not concerned about which is necessarily "best." You have a right to choose in this country (at least for a time), so carry (or not) what you wish. YMMV

In my 20's, the 30s, 40s, and 50s I shot a 45. Now I'm in my 70's and I shoot much better with a couple of 9mm's. Age happens, just sayin'...
I’m almost 60, and am contemplating a S&W EZ Shield for that day and time when I sell most everything and ‘retire’ myself from the sport. I’ll have that EZ for my bedside (8 rds is better’n nuthin’). Will also keep my RIA GI .45 since it’s what got me started on 1911s. (The M9 Beretta was already fielded when I started my 22 yrs service). Perhaps I’ll pass on that Rock GI to a relative - who knows it might be a part of fam lore someday. Someone has my Confederate ancestors pistol and razor, and I have my great grandmother’s handsewn quilt and straight back chair ( both 120 yrs+).

9mm
If you cant hit a target, it wont matter the caliber. A miss is a miss.
.22 placed properly quick will dispatch as well as any other round.
Shot placement counts
.45 helps if you miss by a smidge
Coroner doesnt care if its a .22 or .45
If you cannot use your firearm properly, doesn't matter the caliber
I have shot 45s since 1952 and is still is my choice for defense and that was my BUG when I was in law enforcement, our duty weapon was a Model 19. I have owned many hand guns over the years and that includes 10mm and I still make my pick a 45 as I am comfortable with it so its my primary carry and close at hand at zero dark30 and IMO what you consider the long term that I have used, carried and shot I am comfortable with my 45 to protect me, my wife and family along with my home. I never argue about caliber because I just use the one that fits me but I do enjoy shooting other calibers and I have some other calibers but thats because I like guns.

The debate leaves out attrition and time to learn.

Like learning to drive a chevy on main street USA vs a NASCAR.

Larger calibers take more time to be proficient. Like high HP cars.

The Govt’s of the world go with 9mm as its easier to pump out masses of people able to use them over larger calibers.

Lets face it, if it was easy, every military soldier would be an Olympic grade shooter.

Law enforcement, military, and civilian shoot what is less time to train.

Its only time and money.

Govt’s dont have either.

Back