testtest

A Day for the Dead

I'm a veteran. Served in Iraq late in the war 09-10 and left there as Operation New Dawn was kicking off. I turned 21 in Iraq in 2009 and had a Near Beer there (non alcoholic beer) for my birthday.

I proudly tell people I'm a veteran and on Memorial day when people see my veteran stickers or hat they thank me. While I understand they are trying to show gratitude I politely thank them and then tell them today is not the day to thank me. I tell them if they want to thank people for their service to go to the graveyards and thank the ones who lost their lives. That today is the day to honor the dead, not the living.

So while you're enjoying your cookouts, family and friends, I have one small thing to ask of all you, veterans, service members and civilians alike: take but a small moment out of today and thank the dead for what they did. Thank then for the hardships they endured. Thank those who never came home and lost everything because today is their day.

HONOR

Remember.JPG

I'm a veteran. Served in Iraq late in the war 09-10 and left there as Operation New Dawn was kicking off. I turned 21 in Iraq in 2009 and had a Near Beer there (non alcoholic beer) for my birthday.

I proudly tell people I'm a veteran and on Memorial day when people see my veteran stickers or hat they thank me. While I understand they are trying to show gratitude I politely thank them and then tell them today is not the day to thank me. I tell them if they want to thank people for their service to go to the graveyards and thank the ones who lost their lives. That today is the day to honor the dead, not the living.

So while you're enjoying your cookouts, family and friends, I have one small thing to ask of all you, veterans, service members and civilians alike: take but a small moment out of today and thank the dead for what they did. Thank then for the hardships they endured. Thank those who never came home and lost everything because today is their day.
Well said, and while I agree with your sentiment, I am also thankful for YOUR service, and I hope that you will accept. When a soldier signs up for the service of our country, he or she signs a blank check, payable for any amount, up to and including their life. This is not a small commitment. While I understand when you say "today is not the day to thank me" (and I do not want to reduce the importance of today), I believe everyday is a day that we should thank our veterans. So I hope I do not offend any veteran on this forum when I say. Thank you for serving my country! I am forever grateful to all of you.

I posted this on another thread a couple days ago. My Air Force investigation agency has lost 16, 13 of them Special Agents, in combat zones. I knew 6 of them. I toast them and all our warriors, past and present, at family gatherings. It is important that my children, and now grandchildren, understand the sacrifices made on our behalf.

Attachments

• facebook_1685149268102_7068028315800018030.jpg
    facebook_1685149268102_7068028315800018030.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 42
Back