testtest

A Practical Variation Of The Tactical Reload

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Reloading a handgun is a basic skill, but there’s more than one way to do it. The author discusses a practical variation of the tactical reload.

1702604116057.png

Reloading a handgun is a basic skill, but there’s more than one way to do it. The author discusses a practical variation of the tactical reload.

View attachment 48630
I agree and this is how I do it and how I was trained to do it. If you have time for a tactical reload you have the extra .08 second to make the exchange in the above described manner.

When I was on my church's security team they taught us tactical reloads.

I learned the skill because they taught it to us.

I've never heard of a single person that's ever actually had to do it in a fight.

According to John Corriea (Active Self Protection) he's reviewed over 4,000 citizen involved self-defense shootings and he has yet to see a citizen have to reload their handgun at all.

I was always taught that the time to do a tactical reload is during "a lull in the fight". As a citizen Defender, if there's enough of a "lull in the fight" for me to do a tactical reload there's probably enough for me to get the hell out of Dodge.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. These are practical procedures, good tools to have in your toolbox. When I have practiced tactical reloads, I have never dropped a magazine. The point about handling two magazines with one hand is something to consider. Dropping both could be a disaster.

I can't help but think I could cut down on reloads altogether if I carried my 22+1 XDM. I have yet to figure out how practical and concealable that 5.25" barrel would be. 😉

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

There are multiple examples of police officers needing to reload in a gunfight.

Running low on ammo is one reason, but magazine or ammo failures give good cause. It is a good skill to practice, with emphasis on prepositioning ammo, loading in your workspace, loading without looking at the gun, using gross motor skills, and ammo management.

I made officers load and reload blindfolded after many drills. I bought the blindfolds by the carton.
For some reason a lot of those guys and gals wanted to take the blindfolds home with them....

Back