testtest

Any opinions on the SCCY pistol....

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
My local gun shop has the SCCY 9mm on sale right now, it’s the one with no manual safety, stainless slide and black polymer frame. I have seen ads on theses, but it’s the first time I actually looked at one. Seems fit & finish is real good, but it does have a heavy trigger pull, figured it would be a good gun to toss in tackle box when I go out fishing for the price, $199.99.

I think it is a lot like the Kel-Tecs , you get good ones and bad ones. I know a guy who has an sccy and likes it very much . I had a PF9 Kel-Tec and it gave me no trouble but others have voiced complaints.

I think both companies have tried to get their act together so they have better firearms out the door these days. JMHO.

EDIT : The PF 9 has a great trigger for a relatively cheap firearm at around 5 lbs.

Yes, I agree with others, the grip just seems thick, at least to my mit. The trigger is long, stiff, and I imagine would take some getting used to. I found it to be a snappy little dude, but shot very well. No doubt worth the price, and I'd bet perfect for your intentions.

The Sccy has been my main EDC for several years now. I have found it to be reliable and accurate. The price won't break the bank either. It holds 10 + 1 of 9mm Luger but they don't recommend plus P ammo. Its size makes it easy to conceal in a IWB holster.

I liked it a lot, like I said earlier heavy trigger. But, being a hammer gun, you get a second chance of firing in case the first time it doesn’t fire, just pull the trigger again, I like the second chance strike capabilities.

I have one that I bought for off road motorcycle trips. it rides in my gear along with basic tools and snacks. I paid $189 OTD a few years ago. I take it to the range along with my other firearms and have shot around 250 rounds through it, it has been 100% reliable. The trigger is heavy and the mags are really stiff to load, accuracy is good enough for me. Ive been happy with it and would buy another.

I have two SCCY (SKY). CPX-1 has the safety. CPX-2 has no safety. Now for a little pistol, Sub Compact, it has the usual snap to it. I find that my women love it until they shoot it. They have a great dislike for the SNAP that a little 9 will give. Well, then my hand loads too!!
Many question the CPX-2 not having a safety. Well, really it does. Compared to my Glock 23 with a short pull and less than 3# trigger pull the CPX-2's half mile/heavy trigger pull is a great safety. If you shoot it, you certainly meant to do it.
I find that the SCCY fits my hand and the gals hands just fine. Avid shooters may be uncomfortable due to the again, looooooong/heavy trigger pull.
Would I EDC it? No, as I consider it more a belly gun. At the range I can do center mass ok. But not usually close to the same place twice at 12' or more. Might be the old man in me creeping out!!
Now when I need to throw something quick and easy in to a pocket..... SCCY is it. I'm thinking of an ankle rig to use my SCCY's as back ups.
I must say that neither of these little guns has given me Fail to Feed, Fail to Fire, Fail to Eject. No problems at all so far and maybe at 500+ rounds each to date.

Interesting little fact: The SCCY weighs about 15 ounces, when in the shipping packaging the total weight is 5 pounds and the trigger pull is about 9 pounds!! :ROFLMAO:

Take down for cleaning is easy. Only tool you need is an empty 9mm case.

If the price is $180 or so that's pretty good online. If you buy from a dealer the price may be a bit higher but you do save the transfer fee.

One thing I don't like about the SCCY is something I don't like about many manufacturers firearms. All the bright colors. Pinks and orange and red and so on. These things are so attractive to young children that it scares me. When you look at them realistically they do look exactly like toys. So I'd stay with the scary black or maybe a FDE and some stainless.
Picture shows my Lipstick Ammo in the 10 round mags. YEET Cannon is another story!!

SCCY.jpg

I want to add .... one thing I found with my PF9 was to use 147 gr ammo in it. 115 gr shot fine but it was very snappy with the light ammo. I changed to the 147 and it seemed to quell the snap and gave more push but even then it wasn't a pistol I wanted to put more than 100 rounds through at a time.

One of the main issues I always heard about the PF 9 was that the trigger finger would get pinched almost every time the person fired it. Mine did the same thing till I took a small file and some sand paper to the tip of the trigger. I also sanded the casting line all around the frame. On a good day I could hit 50% of the mag on a 8 " gong at 50 yards with it and yes I have witnesses . :)

Back