testtest

ARE YOU READY TO CARRY A DEFENSIVE FIREARM?

Frankly most of these Types of articles seem to be written by people who apparently are trying to discourage people from carrying. Either that or they think their training makes them superior and you should be as cool as they are before you carry a gun for self defense.
The fact is people should train. The fact is that most people aren’t really stupid enough to carry in the hopes of thwarting a robbery. The fact is almost all robberies are committed by people with a gun. The fact is that anytime someone is pointing a gun at you, robbery or not, training or not, you have the right to try to defend yourself. Because that guy pointing a gun at you may very well shoot you after he robs you. In fact he probably will. So is that me protecting my money or me protecting my life ? I don’t carry money so.....

Is it a good idea to have medical training? Maybe. It’s not a bad idea but my ability to defend myself doesn’t have anything to do with my ability to perform CPR or dress a gunshot wound.
These articles would be a lot easier to take if someone was suggesting these things as a good idea rather than trying to attach your right to self defense to them.

Most of us have logged many hours in training and preparation for something that hopefully never happens. That’s a choice we make. The animals on the street in north STL most likely have no training or psychological preparation for the mental ramifications of killing someone. They don’t seem to have a problem with it. I’m not pretending like it’s an easy thing for a normal person to kill someone, but when the choice is me or the animal trying to kill me I’m sure I’ll be able to live with myself.

I believe that for all of us on this forum we carry for defensive reasons.

Outside of those on this forum.....
I’ll go out on a limb to say if anyone says they carry for any other reason then to defend themselves and their family/friends against the threat of imminent harm or death then I will say they probably shouldn’t carry.

That being said I don’t agree with the statement that we shouldn’t use our weapons to defend our property. That statement flies in the face of many states that have in acted the stand your ground laws. I have worked hard all my life to have what I have and although yes “things” can be replaced however I’ll be D****d if I’m going to allow some low life punk take from me what is mine.

Ok that is my rant for today.

I believe that for all of us on this forum we carry for defensive reasons.

Outside of those on this forum.....
I’ll go out on a limb to say if anyone says they carry for any other reason then to defend themselves and their family/friends against the threat of imminent harm or death then I will say they probably shouldn’t carry.

That being said I don’t agree with the statement that we shouldn’t use our weapons to defend our property. That statement flies in the face of many states that have in acted the stand your ground laws. I have worked hard all my life to have what I have and although yes “things” can be replaced however I’ll be D****d if I’m going to allow some low life punk take from me what is mine.

Ok that is my rant for today.

I don't really think anyone carries to protect their property. Other than security hired specifically for that. I'm going to protect my property whether I have a gun or not. If the person trying to take my property isn't armed it's not very likely I'm going to draw a weapon on him much less shoot him. If he is armed however, now my life is in jeopardy and I will react appropriately.

I don't really think anyone carries to protect their property. Other than security hired specifically for that. I'm going to protect my property whether I have a gun or not. If the person trying to take my property isn't armed it's not very likely I'm going to draw a weapon on him much less shoot him. If he is armed however, now my life is in jeopardy and I will react appropriately.
Well said thank you Bassbob.

A couple weeks ago there was an incident down the road from me. A young dude in one of those lawnmower muffler cars was screwing with people in traffic. He started screwing with this guy in a pickup truck who had his young daughters in the truck with him. Guy was cutting him off, brake checking him, flipping him off or whatever. So the muffler car punk turns into a Walgreens and the guy in the truck follows him in and parks his truck in front of the guy's car and gets out to confront him. Lawnmower punk rolls down his window as the guy is approaching his car and points a gun at him. Pickup truck guy puts his hands up and starts backing off, Lawnmower punk shoots him 4 times. This is all on video. The truck guy survived. He actually walked into Walgreens with his daughters to get help. Lawnmower punk is in jail with several charges against him. Several ways this could have played out where lawnmower punk could have been justified. Yeah, he started all the crap on the highway, but pickup truck guy chose to follow him into a parking lot and confront him. Had he shot the guy while he was approaching him he could have possibly argued he was in fear of his life, but the guy can be clearly seen backing away with his hands in the air. Pickup truck guy was a big dude, but lawnmower boy was in a car that was running. He could have rolled his window up and left the scene.

In reality both those guys are dumbasses and pretty good examples of the type of people that really shouldn't be carrying a firearm.

When I was a younger man I got into my share of fistfights. On more than one occasion I got into a fistfight while I was armed and on one occasion I can think of I got the crap kicked out of me by a much bigger dude while I had a gun on me. In all of those cases no one ever saw the gun or ever knew I was carrying. I was in jeopardy of getting my ass beat, but my life wasn't in jeopardy. If you get yourself into a fistfight and then pull a gun on an unarmed opponent you are a punk ass and certainly have no business ever being armed. These days I would do what I needed to do to avoid a confrontation while I'm carrying, but when I was younger and angrier and really liked to fight, in my infinite dumbassery I would never walk away from a fight.

It's a last resort to pull a gun out and shoot someone. Anyone who thinks otherwise shouldn't be carrying. You should train for these situations so that you have every advantage you can give yourself in the event someone is actually putting your life in jeopardy. If you don't train and you end up dead because of it, it's your fault, but that doesn't make you dangerous it merely makes you unprepared and foolish. The ones who are dangerous are the ones who don't know and have the clearness of mind to know exactly when it is appropriate to present a weapon and defend yourself with it. There's a viral video going around of some dude in a checkout line at a gas station when another man comes up pulls a gun and demands money from the clerk. The would be robber is not paying attention to the guy in line, who pulls out a gun and shoots him 3 times, the last one in the head killing him instantly. On the one hand I think the guy is justified because there is no way of knowing if the robber would have shot the clerk. The problem is there were other people there and at least one of them was immediately on the other side of the robber. It's very clear on the video that the shooter paid no attention to these bystanders and had the bullet traveled through the robber he would have shot an innocent bystander. In my opinion this guy is an idiot and probably shouldn't be carrying.

Good article. Very good.

And I agree with his statement about property. I’ve worked just as hard as anyone else for what I have, but nothing I own is worth the fallout from a shooting.

Not only that, but under MN law, I can only use lethal force in defense of life & limb (exact phrase is “grave bodily harm”)...not property.

However, if faced by an antagonist who demands my wallet, etc with the means of causing me death or GBH...well, that eliminates that hurdle, and I will react accordingly.

Those two jackwagons in Georgia could’ve learned something from this article...”Trying to stop crime as a civilian is absurd.”

This past Saturday my lady and I took a ride to see where I’ll be working starting tomorrow. Getting off the highway I was cut off by a truck pulling what I guessed was an in closed landscaping trailer.
We both ended up on the same one lane road for about 20 miles, during this time I watched this person tailgating everyone, basically driving like a total moron.
It was obvious he just didn’t care about driving safely. I lost sight of him for about 5 minutes and then came up on traffic moving very slowly. Yup Karma had shown up and the truck and trailer where laying on its side in a ditch. I stopped and turned the lights on on my truck and helped with traffic control until the police showed up. I never approached the driver of the truck who was a big guy. When the state police showed up I flagged down one of the troopers to give my statement and was told that multiple agencies had received calls on his reckless driving and they had been looking for him. During this conversation I noticed the guy watching me talk to the trooper.
Let me say at this point I was carrying concealed and I had let the trooper know this. When I was done giving my statement the trooper walked over to the driver of the truck and spoke with him for about 30 seconds, I then heard the trooper say turn around your under arrest for... everything after that happened in a split second. The trooper was thrown to the ground and the guy started running in my direction.
I stood my ground, lifted my shirt and placed my hand on the grip of my 1911,
I never drew my gun. The guy stopped in his tracks and was immediately tackled by law enforcement. The trooper talked with me again and said I’m glad you didn’t shoot him but would have been justified if you did. Thanks for your help and then with a smile said get going.

As a follow up just got back from grocery shopping and received a phone call from the state trooper I talked to on Saturday.
3 stolen handguns were found in the guys truck.

This past Saturday my lady and I took a ride to see where I’ll be working starting tomorrow. Getting off the highway I was cut off by a truck pulling what I guessed was an in closed landscaping trailer.
We both ended up on the same one lane road for about 20 miles, during this time I watched this person tailgating everyone, basically driving like a total moron.
It was obvious he just didn’t care about driving safely. I lost sight of him for about 5 minutes and then came up on traffic moving very slowly. Yup Karma had shown up and the truck and trailer where laying on its side in a ditch. I stopped and turned the lights on on my truck and helped with traffic control until the police showed up. I never approached the driver of the truck who was a big guy. When the state police showed up I flagged down one of the troopers to give my statement and was told that multiple agencies had received calls on his reckless driving and they had been looking for him. During this conversation I noticed the guy watching me talk to the trooper.
Let me say at this point I was carrying concealed and I had let the trooper know this. When I was done giving my statement the trooper walked over to the driver of the truck and spoke with him for about 30 seconds, I then heard the trooper say turn around your under arrest for... everything after that happened in a split second. The trooper was thrown to the ground and the guy started running in my direction.
I stood my ground, lifted my shirt and placed my hand on the grip of my 1911,
I never drew my gun. The guy stopped in his tracks and was immediately tackled by law enforcement. The trooper talked with me again and said I’m glad you didn’t shoot him but would have been justified if you did. Thanks for your help and then with a smile said get going.
Whoa, glad things worked out for you. Life happens is split seconds. Speaking from experience, you can train and rehearse for scenarios, but until it actually happens you don't know what you'll do. You just hope that your training prepares you to act decisively in the manner you prepared for.

Last edited:
Whoa, glad things worked out for you. Life happens is split seconds. You can train and rehearse for scenarios, but until it actually happens you don't know what you'll do. You just hope that your training prepares you to act decisively in the manner you prepared for.
I won’t say I wasn’t scared and I would be a fool to not think that a lot could have gone very bad, I do believe that when they guy saw me not move but simply raise my shirt and calmly put my hand on the grip of my gun he knew I meant business.

Last edited:
Back