testtest

ATF goes after Rare Breed trigger FRT-15

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
The ATF has declared Rare Breed's trigger FRT-15, to be a machine gun.

Rare Breed's response to the ATF's action:

"Kevin Maxwell, legal counsel for Rare Breed, states the FRT-15 Is not a machine gun by testing and definition and “Will not comply” by the ATF’s Statement. In the following documents below you will be able to see for yourself where Rick Vasquez Firearms LLC, 15 year veteran of the ATF, specifically says in Exhibit D “it is a LEGAL semi auto trigger”. Mr. Vasquez goes into great detail describing not only the working mechanics of the trigger but also the mechanical stages the trigger goes through to perform it’s 1 shot per trigger pull function. Allegedly there are hundreds of pages of documents providing to show that PRIOR to PRODUCTION this was a non issue and in accordance with the ATFs draconian rules and regulations. Only AFTER this trigger went into production was ANY mention of it not being a 100% legal semi auto trigger.
Rare Breed , however, thankfully had the foresight to plan for such cloak and dagger tomfooleries to be performed by the ATF, and are FULLY prepared to take a stand and fight for what’s right. Rare has asked that you, OUR READER, can also help, SPREAD THIS ARTICLE, with the documentation exposing the ATF’s bullying tactics. Plainly said, THEY WILL NOT COMPLY, and they urge you all to do the same. Help Rare fight back, STAND UP with them by sharing the article to your social media, and let’s all do our part in taking back our RIGHT to BEAR ARMS.
As evidence of the enormous amount of due diligence done by the brand prior to going to market. Agent Vasquez is the sole reason there has never been a bump stock prosecution, he’s on fed payroll to determine what does and does not constitute a machine gun, he’s one of the experts the ATF would call in a trial like this, and prior to the trigger going to market, he, Agent Dan O’Kelly, and other ATF experts said “this is NOT a machine gun” in writing."

The ATF has declared Rare Breed's trigger FRT-15, to be a machine gun.

Rare Breed's response to the ATF's action:

"Kevin Maxwell, legal counsel for Rare Breed, states the FRT-15 Is not a machine gun by testing and definition and “Will not comply” by the ATF’s Statement. In the following documents below you will be able to see for yourself where Rick Vasquez Firearms LLC, 15 year veteran of the ATF, specifically says in Exhibit D “it is a LEGAL semi auto trigger”. Mr. Vasquez goes into great detail describing not only the working mechanics of the trigger but also the mechanical stages the trigger goes through to perform it’s 1 shot per trigger pull function. Allegedly there are hundreds of pages of documents providing to show that PRIOR to PRODUCTION this was a non issue and in accordance with the ATFs draconian rules and regulations. Only AFTER this trigger went into production was ANY mention of it not being a 100% legal semi auto trigger.
Rare Breed , however, thankfully had the foresight to plan for such cloak and dagger tomfooleries to be performed by the ATF, and are FULLY prepared to take a stand and fight for what’s right. Rare has asked that you, OUR READER, can also help, SPREAD THIS ARTICLE, with the documentation exposing the ATF’s bullying tactics. Plainly said, THEY WILL NOT COMPLY, and they urge you all to do the same. Help Rare fight back, STAND UP with them by sharing the article to your social media, and let’s all do our part in taking back our RIGHT to BEAR ARMS.
As evidence of the enormous amount of due diligence done by the brand prior to going to market. Agent Vasquez is the sole reason there has never been a bump stock prosecution, he’s on fed payroll to determine what does and does not constitute a machine gun, he’s one of the experts the ATF would call in a trial like this, and prior to the trigger going to market, he, Agent Dan O’Kelly, and other ATF experts said “this is NOT a machine gun” in writing."
I seen this coming and it's the main reason I haven't picked one up. Since the bump stock ban this seemed like the next thing they would unfortunately go after.

I seen this coming and it's the main reason I haven't picked one up. Since the bump stock ban this seemed like the next thing they would unfortunately go after.
Well, the Fostech and Franklin Armory triggers are not mentioned in this ATF proclamation (at least not yet). Plus the Bumpstock ban, was overturned by one of the federal district courts (but may have been overruled by their enbloc decision. But the fight goes on).

pushing the envelop in regards to rate of fire is likely going to end up with the legislature re-examining the subject matter. Once we get well into the universe where a semi auto trigger can easily put out a very similar rate of fire as some auto weapons, I suspect that the letter of the law, criteria and definition are likely going to change. I am not all that confident that those potential changes would be a good thing.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League sent out this email the morning:

Rare Breed Triggers has been marketing their “Forced-Reset Trigger” (FRT) that allows a person to fire an AR-15 very quickly, but with the trigger finger firing one shot per pull of the trigger.

BATFE sent a letter to Rare Breed saying they consider the trigger to be a machine gun.

Rare Breed, which is owned by a lawyer, has fired back with a lawsuit against the BATFE and the Department of Justice. The issue is supposed to be in court on the 18th for the purpose of Rare Breed getting an injunction against the BATFE.

Time to get out the popcorn.

Some videos on the situation:

What is up with the Rare Breed FRT-15 Trigger? Is it a machine gun?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3cz3Wi-7U

It’s a Machine Gun, I have The Proof

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5QEvZOgWQ

Don't panic, they're not illegal, the letter from the ATF is just a warning shot over the bow of the company to try and get them to cease production.

It has no legal implications toward trigger owners at this time. There is a long legal battle ahead, and the ATF has to take certain steps before they can threaten purchasers of the product, a product that is still openly for sale on the Rare Breed site, Big Daddy Unlimited, Gunbroker, and in some gun stores throughout the country.

There are no less than 50,000 of these in circulation in only 8 months, so you're not getting the genie back into the bottle if your'e the ATF.

You're still allowed to use them at your discretion, just be smart and don't flaunt your freedom in front of a FUDD at the range, but just the same you are within your rights to shoot at one with the trigger if the range permits rapid fire.

Don't panic, they're not illegal, the letter from the ATF is just a warning shot over the bow of the company to try and get them to cease production.

It has no legal implications toward trigger owners at this time. There is a long legal battle ahead, and the ATF has to take certain steps before they can threaten purchasers of the product, a product that is still openly for sale on the Rare Breed site, Big Daddy Unlimited, Gunbroker, and in some gun stores throughout the country.

There are no less than 50,000 of these in circulation in only 8 months, so you're not getting the genie back into the bottle if your'e the ATF.

You're still allowed to use them at your discretion, just be smart and don't flaunt your freedom in front of a FUDD at the range, but just the same you are within your rights to shoot at one with the trigger if the range permits rapid fire.
Rare Breed has issued a lawsuit against the ATF, indicating that this trigger does Not conform to “A Machine-gun”, as the ATF states. Rare Breeds owner happens also to be a lawyer.
I hope you’re right with the number of these triggers in-use making this a moot cause, but it should be remembered that this didn’t stop the ATF proposal of the pistol brace making a AR type pistol into a SBR, and other proposed restrictions. Estimates have these braces up towards 40 million owned, so maybe the ATF will back away from their unconstitutional rewrite of the NFA & GCA laws. I recently read an article that several legislators have sent the ATF a letter stating such on the ATF receiver redefinition proposal.
Let’s hope they back off on all these ridiculous proposals.

Rare Breed has issued a lawsuit against the ATF, indicating that this trigger does Not conform to “A Machine-gun”, as the ATF states. Rare Breeds owner happens also to be a lawyer.
I hope you’re right with the number of these triggers in-use making this a moot cause, but it should be remembered that this didn’t stop the ATF proposal of the pistol brace making a AR type pistol into a SBR, and other proposed restrictions. Estimates have these braces up towards 40 million owned, so maybe the ATF will back away from their unconstitutional rewrite of the NFA & GCA laws. I recently read an article that several legislators have sent the ATF a letter stating such on the ATF receiver redefinition proposal.
Let’s hope they back off on all these ridiculous proposals.
Yes, but there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of bump stocks they could do nothing about and are at large.

And that case is trending in favor of bump stocks, which has significant downstream consequences against the ATF being arbitrary.

All of this is a multifaceted backdoor attack on the legality of the AR platform.

And if the FRT is categorized as an "MG" then all semi automatic triggers face the same slippery slope, because they all have a spring that resets the trigger to fire again, match triggers by Rise, Geissele, and Timney would be eligible for the same treatment instantly, and of course the binaries by Franklin Armory and FosTech.

It's ultimately going to fail. These unserialized 50,000 strong trigger packs are unenforceable unless they monitor ranges.

Yes, but there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of bump stocks they could do nothing about and are at large.

And that case is trending in favor of bump stocks, which has significant downstream consequences against the ATF being arbitrary.

All of this is a multifaceted backdoor attack on the legality of the AR platform.

And if the FRT is categorized as an "MG" then all semi automatic triggers face the same slippery slope, because they all have a spring that resets the trigger to fire again, match triggers by Rise, Geissele, and Timney would be eligible for the same treatment instantly, and of course the binaries by Franklin Armory and FosTech.

It's ultimately going to fail. These unserialized 50,000 strong trigger packs are unenforceable unless they monitor ranges.
I'm not in disagreement @tactical Pirate, I'm just stating how the ATF is thinking (illogically in my opinion), on these proposals. Take the Bump Stock which was wrongly classified as a Machine Gun. An owner of such wasn't grandfathered in, and only had two choices. 1) turn it in to your nearest ATF office, or 2) destroy it yourself. Yes, you're right that they don't have the manpower to ensure these directives were ever followed, but to the government, they considered owners now of committing a felony. Fortunately, one district court has ruled this classification to be wrong and unconstitutional, so there's hope that Bump Stock owners that didn't follow the ATF's directive, may become legal owners in they eyes of the government, as they were when they first bought them.
As far as pistol braces (and I own a few), "Ghost Guns", triggers, et. al., it's ludicrous thinking to turn millions of those that legally bought and paid for these items, to felons overnight. I agree that eventually, this would be struck down, but we still might have to fight legally, to get our rights back if these proposals were ever implemented, like the Bump Stock ban was.

Back