testtest

Bargain Buying Yourself To The Poorhouse

I simply have a problem passing up a bargain price on handloading products.

I had another example of it this week when I stopped by a local shop that I knew had several less common die sets on the shelf. I went in looking for .32WCF/32-20 dies.

Well there were no 32-20 dies, but I did find what appeared to be pre-owned, but unused pristine set of RCBS Carbide .41 REM Mag dies. The plastic package containing the second seater insert was unopened, no rust or scratches. I load .41 Mag, and are already well blessed with dies, but they were $15!

Worse yet there was another RCBS two die rifle set in the same condition for the same price. 6.5X55 Swede caliber. No, I don’t have anything chambered for the round. If I ever do I’m set though.

It was only $30, but I do this too often.

What started this adventure was the bargain I found on a Winchester 1873 (rifle) with a great bore and solid action chambered for 32WCF. I know this stuff wasn’t needed at all, but I just can’t seem to put it back down when I find these treasures.
I’ll try to post some pictures later. The Winchester and the dies.

Thanks Guys,

I'm sorry to be so long replying and getting the pics up.
Responsibility gets in the way of fun.

After deeper inspection the 6.5 dies do appear to be as new.
The 41 Mag dies are like new with one exception. The sizing die set screw for the lock ring had been tightened to the point of slightly marring the threads on the die. It's not bad, more cosmetic and doesn't effect function.

In fact I used them to load a few .41's with CFE Pistol. A test batch with 9.7 grains another batch @ 9.2 grains. Both doses were propelling 210 gr cast semi wadcutters.

The dies and both loads shot great from a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk. Surprisingly the lower 9.2 grain load seemed to push a bit harder than the higher powered load.

Dies.jpg

Overall the .32 WCF/.32-20 caliber rifle is in pretty good shape for the model and age. The forend has issues near the receiver and the the octagon barrel has some unusual dings near the receiver too, still I'm quite of proud of it. I've been soaking the bore with Kroil. I wish I could get pics of the bore. To be 134 years old and of the black powder cartridge era it's exceptional.

73 barrel top.jpg

73 wall.jpg

73 tang.jpg

73 right sideplate.jpg

73 left.jpg

Thanks again for the responses!

Back