testtest

Bear medicine- Revolver VS Semi Auot

Revolver. Every time.

Heavier—MUCH heavier—calibers available; .357 Mag loaded heavy, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum. heavy .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .460 & .500 S&W...with the exception of a Desert Eagle, there’s not an auto that can match the power...and even then, the DE can’t touch .460 & .500.

Second...contact shots. If it really goes bad, you can press a revolver muzzle into the beastie and fire..,again and again, until you run out of ammo. An auto? You’re going to push your slide out of battery, and get a dead trigger.

Well...with a Glock, you can get a single shot off by holding the slide in battery with your thumb (and no, you won’t tear it off IF you do it correctly—I have personally done it, it’s painless, and my thumbs work fine)...but, it’s only ONE shot. Also note...it won’t work on a pistol with a grip safety.

I’ll definitely take higher power cartridge and greater reliability over higher capacity...tell me, can anyone give a recent example of someone getting mauled after making hits on their furry attacker, but ran out of ammo?

I suppose if I lived in bear country I would probably own something that I felt would handle a bear situation like a S&W 460 Bone Collector. The 460 is a flexible caliber and you can shoot the 45 Colt and 454 Casull. However, living where I do where a bear hasn't been seen since who knows when, but having friends and relatives who live in bear country owning a 460 just to go visit would be luxury. So most likely, I would pack my Glock 20 loaded with some potent hardcast bullets.

This is kind of a long way of saying, your environment will dictate to a large degree, what type of weapon you may have on hand.

I suppose if I lived in bear country I would probably own something that I felt would handle a bear situation like a S&W 460 Bone Collector. The 460 is a flexible caliber and you can shoot the 45 Colt and 454 Casull. However, living where I do where a bear hasn't been seen since who knows when, but having friends and relatives who live in bear country owning a 460 just to go visit would be luxury. So most likely, I would pack my Glock 20 loaded with some potent hardcast bullets.

This is kind of a long way of saying, your environment will dictate to a large degree, what type of weapon you may have on hand.
I’m with you on both. I like the .460S&W. I also love my 10mm with some Buffalo Bore 220gr Hard Cast.

Revolver. Every time.

Heavier—MUCH heavier—calibers available; .357 Mag loaded heavy, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum. heavy .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .460 & .500 S&W...with the exception of a Desert Eagle, there’s not an auto that can match the power...and even then, the DE can’t touch .460 & .500.

Second...contact shots. If it really goes bad, you can press a revolver muzzle into the beastie and fire..,again and again, until you run out of ammo. An auto? You’re going to push your slide out of battery, and get a dead trigger.

Well...with a Glock, you can get a single shot off by holding the slide in battery with your thumb (and no, you won’t tear it off IF you do it correctly—I have personally done it, it’s painless, and my thumbs work fine)...but, it’s only ONE shot. Also note...it won’t work on a pistol with a grip safety.

I’ll definitely take higher power cartridge and greater reliability over higher capacity...tell me, can anyone give a recent example of someone getting mauled after making hits on their furry attacker, but ran out of ammo?
What he said

Never had a close encounter with a Grizzly. Have been in the bush in Alaska a half dozen times. I usually carried my Dan Wesson .445 Supermag loaded with 300 grain hard casts. Last time I was in Alaska I carried my Glock Model 20 10MM loaded with Buffalo Bore Heavy 10MM 200 grain FMJ-FN. The closest we ever came to a Grizz was footprints 25 yards from our tent on a sandbar in the Wood River. Did see a Grizz once part the line of fishermen on the Kenai River while salmon fishing. Once the bear got a salmon and went back to the woods, the fishermen filled in the line again. Almost like Mosses parting the Red Sea. ;)

Yup everything better including limited capacity and no where to be found in most guns stores. I hope you like to roll your own. 😜 lol

Might be a regional thing...the three independent gun stores nearest me always have .41 on their shelves.

And I do roll my own, as well. 210gr JHPs, mainly, clocking at a fairly leisurely 1300fps...but I’ve cranked them up to north of 1500, for fun...they tickle a bit.

As far as capacity? I’ve never been one to consider it the most important aspect in a caliber...

Don't get me wrong—I like 10mm, I own a couple of them (and have owned many more)...but I like it more for it's flexibility, not for it's top end power...which, when you start looking at handgun calibers, just isn’t as powerful as it's often presented. ;)

Back