testtest

Best CLP's Torture Test

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
Here's a great breakdown on some of the more popular gun cleaner and lubes in one. A lot of people speculate on which is the best and project farm test these CPL's to the limit.

What's your thoughts on the testing in the video and would you rethink what you use after watching?

I watch a lot of Project Farms videos where they test all types of products in unique but intelligent ways.

Well, I always like to see comparisons like these. They can tell u a lot, and can also - sometimes - tell u some things by what they don’t attempt. ( I’m not implying anything particular about this test ).

A couple points:
- They didn’t include two of my favs: Tetra and Lucas… Tetra doesn’t seem to be well known on this Forum but I’ve seen Lucas mentioned a lot.

- Some (most?) of the tests don’t relate to anything any of my guns would remotely encounter. It’s important to remember that although a product might look superior in a particular test while another scored near dismal, they BOTH might be well within a firearm’s torture test requirement range.

- I’ve got some Clenzoil and do like it’s cleaning results. But it is quite runny ( a lot like RemOil ) and from what little i know of it all, appears much more toxic than, say, Ballistol. Hoppes is also known for toxicity or carcinogens and/or whatever.
But this one wasn’t about lab rat test of course:)

Side note: I once did a simple ‘run test’ by putting a drop of several diff gun oils/lubricants (not CLPs) on a sheet of wax paper, then holding it upright to see which ran down or past a line drawn across the bottom. Most did pretty much as you’d expect from looking at the product and shaking the bottle, but there were two surprises.

Interesting vid, indeed….

A couple points:
- They didn’t include two of my favs: Tetra and Lucas… Tetra doesn’t seem to be well known on this Forum but I’ve seen Lucas mentioned a lot.
I was surprised to see that Lucas wasn't included. I've used Lucas products for years. Maybe it's a regional thing, but Lucas is one of the most popular and well-known gun products in my area. I've had great luck with the stuff, so I'm not sure that a Youtube torture test would've affected my opinion, but it seems odd to me that Lucas wasn't mentioned.

Here's a great breakdown on some of the more popular gun cleaner and lubes in one. A lot of people speculate on which is the best and project farm test these CPL's to the limit.

What's your thoughts on the testing in the video and would you rethink what you use after watching?

I watch a lot of Project Farms videos where they test all types of products in unique but intelligent ways.

What, no Lucas Oil……
448DB0C8-3AEA-41B5-8EF7-6813A44301AC.jpeg

That guy doing the video has done a ton of different products and I really like the time and effort he puts into them. They all seem well done with a lot of info to wrap your head around.
There's definitely a lot of good product testing videos from Project Farm especially on power tools that shows how capable and durable they are.

Supposedly they buy all the products they torture test with their own money.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that Lucas wasn't included. I've used Lucas products for years. Maybe it's a regional thing, but Lucas is one of the most popular and well-known gun products in my area. I've had great luck with the stuff, so I'm not sure that a Youtube torture test would've affected my opinion, but it seems odd to me that Lucas wasn't mentioned.
… I see Birchwood Casey all over the place down here.
Some Lucas, but I generally have to go to Amazon for theirs.

There's definitely a lot of good product testing videos from Project Farm especially on power tools that shows how capable and durable they are.

Supposedly they buy all the products they torture test with their own money.
It was a good test and very thorough but I feel that with the amount of different gun lubrication products on the market they all will do an adequate job based on what people use there weapons for. Definitely to each his own.

Cool video. So it seems like different stuff might be required for very cold temps and different stuff might be required for very high round count ( temp) situations. Other than that the Break Free seems to have come out on top. For most of us any of those would probably be fine. I use Lucas and Break Free.

Back