testtest

Blast from the past knife

Sld1959

Hellcat
A friend dropped this off yesterday for a cleaning and resharpening. Made it for him a number of years back. He just cannot get the edge geometry down for proper bevels so he brings it around occasionally. I always liked the copper bolsters and mosaic pins I used on this one.

dbaef865-9ba8-4c12-abd8-e5ef3a2773d4_zps9030dcb9.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another blast from the past, anyone remember this buck knife?

View attachment 37473View attachment 37474View attachment 37475
If memory serves was it not part of a new bayonet system. I do remember seeing several catastrophic blade failures where the blade broke at a saw tooth. That was the knife that got me looking into stress risers in blades and saw teeth. The other knife that contributed to my interest was the AK bayonet with the hole to make a wire cutter. The blade would break at those holes.

Here's another blast from the past, anyone remember this buck knife?

View attachment 37473View attachment 37474View attachment 37475
Nope it was not part of the bayonet system I think I remember them being touted as being used by SEALS. They we r e inspired by the Rambo First Blood Jimmy Lyle knife hollow handle, saw tooth spine fad. The little pointy things on the guard were supposed to make it into a grappling hook. Its not been sharpened much, or very carefully done, i do not see marks in the finish
Probably in that nice shape with original sheath it's worth a few bucks today, do you have the box?

Last edited:
Wow! I had one back in the 80s. Removed the grappling hook little doodads and gave them a toss first thing.
I abused the heck out of that knife and only chipped a very small tip of the blade (corrected with a file) when I was p!$$ed about something and tried to stab it through the bed of a deuce and a half. A fellow Fister was leaving for Ranger school and asked to buy the knife from me, so it went to Georgia. It was called a Buckmaster. What a real blast from the past!

Back