testtest

Bolt Carrier Group Cleaning

wolfpack076

Professional
The other day at my LGS a guy was discussing AR cleaning with the store owner so me always being open to new ideas listened in. The guy said he uses Scotch Brite (the green ones ) pads for cleaning up carbon buildup especially on the BCG. I use Seal 1 exclusively now and never had any issues. Question is does anyone here use Scotch Brite pads or hear of using them ?

The other day at my LGS a guy was discussing AR cleaning with the store owner so me always being open to new ideas listened in. The guy said he uses Scotch Brite (the green ones ) pads for cleaning up carbon buildup especially on the BCG. I use Seal 1 exclusively now and never had any issues. Question is does anyone here use Scotch Brite pads or hear of using them ?
No, but I can't imagine it hurting anything. I have and use Seal 1, mainly in filthy bores. Never considered using it on a BCG. I generally just use CLP and a scraper.

I also have and use the purpose built scrapers but they don't seem to get all the crud off. That's whay I was wondering about the Scotch brite pads and I got hooked on Seal 1 for everything
One thing I can tell you about Seal 1. I have the orange gel. Smells like those wax lips we used to get when we were kids.
If you use it on your slide or on the action make damn sure you get all of it off before you assemble and/or fire the weapon. The stuff gums up and dries out. I learned that early on and decided to only use it in heavy carbon areas like bores. And it totally makes sense to use it on a BCG. I'd just be sure to get it all off there.

Scotch Brite pads probably would work well, as would a stiff brass brush.

I dont think the scotch brite pads would be nimble enough to get in the little crevaces like a tooth brush or stiff nylon brush

My .02 due to I use Scotch Brite pads on my bbq pans

I make sure all my weapons are clean and wiped dry. Although for lubrication I use the Seal 1 liquid. Never had any issues thus far with it plus the Wife doesn't complain about the smell like she used to when I used Hoppe's .
I haven't tried the liquid or the aerosol, but I should.

The Lucas Oil Extreme CLP smells pretty good too. I solved the my wife whining about smells and parts on the dining room table problem by building a shop out back. Complete with a sound system and a mini fridge. She can have the house, I'll stay out there. Then she started slowly filling it up with her lawn implements and other bins of crap so I bought the house next door to me. It has a 4 car garage, a 12 car driveway and the interior of the house itself is gutted. I won't say what I paid for it, but let's put it this way, I didn't need a loan. Anyway, she asked me if I was moving my shop over to the house. I told her no, I am moving your crap out of my shed/shop over to the house. So I had to buy 2 houses before I could have my own space to work/hide. Worth every friggin' penny bro.

I haven't tried the liquid or the aerosol, but I should.

The Lucas Oil Extreme CLP smells pretty good too. I solved the my wife whining about smells and parts on the dining room table problem by building a shop out back. Complete with a sound system and a mini fridge. She can have the house, I'll stay out there. Then she started slowly filling it up with her lawn implements and other bins of crap so I bought the house next door to me. It has a 4 car garage, a 12 car driveway and the interior of the house itself is gutted. I won't say what I paid for it, but let's put it this way, I didn't need a loan. Anyway, she asked me if I was moving my shop over to the house. I told her no, I am moving your crap out of my shed/shop over to the house. So I had to buy 2 houses before I could have my own space to work/hide. Worth every friggin' penny bro.
From the man who says he can't afford a Benelli M4 M1014 🤣

From the man who says he can't afford a Benelli M4 M1014 🤣
I never said I couldn't afford it. I said I would have to have a massive fight with my wife if I bought it. Almost all my firearms purchases I make with money outside of the household budget. Bonuses, copper money, side hustles, etc. She isn't going to give me any grief over better than doubling the size of my yard and adding a whole other house to the mix for the price I paid. Which wasn't much more than what you got in your M4. :oops::ROFLMAO:

I never said I couldn't afford it. I said I would have to have a massive fight with my wife if I bought it. Almost all my firearms purchases I make with money outside of the household budget. Bonuses, copper money, side hustles, etc. She isn't going to give me any grief over better than doubling the size of my yard and adding a whole other house to the mix for the price I paid. Which wasn't much more than what you got in your M4. :oops::ROFLMAO:
“Bigalow” Bassbob

…now it all makes sense 🤔😏😆

7880A917-5DD3-40D1-A60E-877F5D75F67F.jpeg

I don’t have AR’s anymore but would have never used SB Pads to clean anything on them or any gun for that matter.

I'm seriously thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner. For now it would be for the BCG...later for that AND brass when I get into reloading. Spent 1-1/2 hours shooting today, 1-1/2 hours scrubbing the damn BCG parts. I still haven't figured out how to hold the darn extractor pin or the firing pin retainer pin in my fat fingers and scrub them hard enough to get the carbon off...

I'm seriously thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner. For now it would be for the BCG...later for that AND brass when I get into reloading. Spent 1-1/2 hours shooting today, 1-1/2 hours scrubbing the damn BCG parts. I still haven't figured out how to hold the darn extractor pin or the firing pin retainer pin in my fat fingers and scrub them hard enough to get the carbon off...

Disassemble and drop all the parts in a little bowl of CLP and let it soak for a bit. It comes off way easier after that. Make a little bowl shape out of your hand and drop the small parts in it and scrub with a brush. I also have some magnetic parts dishes. You can scrub them in there.

Back