testtest

Can we trust the Experts?

Heavens to Betsy that means the Green Deal people will freeze!o_O
What it actually means is that another ice age is inevitable. There is nothing man can do to stop it. It doesn’t mean there isn’t man made global warming, but it does mean that no matter what we do to warm up the planet it absolutely is reversible because the planet will absolutely reverse it at some point in the distant future. So even if we want to jump on the “ Man made climate change irreversible catastrophic outcome” band wagon, the fact is we are not destroying or dooming the planet. We might be dooming mankind, but frankly we’ve had a good run. Something north of half of the people on this rock most likely don’t deserve to live anyway. 🤣🤣🤣

What it actually means is that another ice age is inevitable. There is nothing man can do to stop it. It doesn’t mean there isn’t man made global warming, but it does mean that no matter what we do to warm up the planet it absolutely is reversible because the planet will absolutely reverse it at some point in the distant future. So even if we want to jump on the “ Man made climate change irreversible catastrophic outcome” band wagon, the fact is we are not destroying or dooming the planet. We might be dooming mankind, but frankly we’ve had a good run. Something north of half of the people on this rock most likely don’t deserve to live anyway. 🤣🤣🤣
Watching the news and some of the weirdos on social media we may be about due for an extinction level event....

Watching the news and some of the weirdos on social media we may be about due for an extinction level event....
I was kinda going there. I went out west with my family a couple summers ago on a road trip from St. Louis to Henry’s Fork Idaho ( fly fishing). We hit all the national parks and all the Sioux historic sites along the way. My wife and I decided people are really giant cockroaches and there are way too many of them. 😉

^ Towards the last few posts in this thread.....

A long bit ago, there was an article in Runner's World about a man whose passion was statistics and who kept records for many top-seeded runners. Before he retired, he was a professional weatherman, and as a part of his personal and professional interest had charted a number of climate/environmental trends, and was of the opinion that we were indeed headed for an extinction-level event in term of Global Warming. Despite being a "Hippy Environmentalist" himself, however, he said that by looking at the data objectively, he had seen that the Earth was simply on a warming trend just as it went through the Ice Age so many years ago, and that while what we're doing to it has possibly led to some acceleration of that eventuality, it was nevertheless always a natural eventuality: that it was just a part of the Earth's natural cycle.

I personally do believe in Global Warming and how climate change has influenced today's more violent weather swings (or even if that change is another Ice Age as somehow the deep ocean currents manage to reverse, much as was popularized in the disaster movie "The Day After Tomorrow").

Similar to this man, I do not, however, believe that it is our doing as industrialized humans -be it from use of fossil fuels or overpopulation- that have brought-on this change. Nor do I particularly see the significance of our contribution to it, based on these factors.

Much as we left our parents homes as we grew to be adults, I believe that we as a species must also leave Earth if only to ourselves from the very real attempts that Mother Nature has made to kick us out of her basement. Either we get out, or She'll smother us.

For whatever reasons, we've given up looking up at the stars. I think that we are tremendously short-sighted as a species -as we typically are- and are seeking to save something that we simply cannot, because Mother Nature is both much greater than us and also cares not. I'd actually rather we expend our resources now in an effort to improve our lot, rather than to stay stagnant. Even if we stopped all our harms to the planet now, how many more generations will that afford us? Let's figure out a way to leave this place before we are ultimately killed by climate change, disease, or any of a host of other possible natural causes as the planet tries to rid herself of our burdens.

We can then look on from our new homes as the years pass and the Earth again renews herself, to be ready again for us to come back and call it home.

.....ok, I've ranted a bit. Sorry. 😅

^ Towards the last few posts in this thread.....

A long bit ago, there was an article in Runner's World about a man whose passion was statistics and who kept records for many top-seeded runners. Before he retired, he was a professional weatherman, and as a part of his personal and professional interest had charted a number of climate/environmental trends, and was of the opinion that we were indeed headed for an extinction-level event in term of Global Warming. Despite being a "Hippy Environmentalist" himself, however, he said that by looking at the data objectively, he had seen that the Earth was simply on a warming trend just as it went through the Ice Age so many years ago, and that while what we're doing to it has possibly led to some acceleration of that eventuality, it was nevertheless always a natural eventuality: that it was just a part of the Earth's natural cycle.

I personally do believe in Global Warming and how climate change has influenced today's more violent weather swings (or even if that change is another Ice Age as somehow the deep ocean currents manage to reverse, much as was popularized in the disaster movie "The Day After Tomorrow").

Similar to this man, I do not, however, believe that it is our doing as industrialized humans -be it from use of fossil fuels or overpopulation- that have brought-on this change. Nor do I particularly see the significance of our contribution to it, based on these factors.

Much as we left our parents homes as we grew to be adults, I believe that we as a species must also leave Earth if only to ourselves from the very real attempts that Mother Nature has made to kick us out of her basement. Either we get out, or She'll smother us.

For whatever reasons, we've given up looking up at the stars. I think that we are tremendously short-sighted as a species -as we typically are- and are seeking to save something that we simply cannot, because Mother Nature is both much greater than us and also cares not. I'd actually rather we expend our resources now in an effort to improve our lot, rather than to stay stagnant. Even if we stopped all our harms to the planet now, how many more generations will that afford us? Let's figure out a way to leave this place before we are ultimately killed by climate change, disease, or any of a host of other possible natural causes as the planet tries to rid herself of our burdens.

We can then look on from our new homes as the years pass and the Earth again renews herself, to be ready again for us to come back and call it home.

.....ok, I've ranted a bit. Sorry. 😅

“The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in it.”

-Robert A Heinlein

Reading this thread has been very thought provoking.

I'm one of the ones with all the letters after my name, but also one who rarely acknowledges them.
I've been labeled an expert in a certain arena and later in my career founded a nationwide consulting organization that won many, many industry recognitions and awards.
I would contend that until my retirement I was the resource that industry depended on in a specific part of the industry.
I have no problems revealing that staying on top required massive amounts of money and time despite many years of experience.

That said, there are many, many areas I never considered myself an expert in and normally referred people and organizations to people I considered experts or to people I thought might know experts on the subject(s) of the query.

It bothers me when even polymaths stray too far afield from their actual knowledge and experience and claim to be an expert in fields where they lack either experience or expertise or both to advance their point of view. My son is a nationally recognized anesthesiologist and a leading researcher in anesthesiology as it relates to neurosurgery, with both MD and PhD after his name and scores of JAMA articles yet I would not be willing to let him take out my appendix. I remember too well his learning to gut and skin the animals we hunted. He would agree with me - he wouldn't want to be faced with removing an appendix either.

As a long time gun owner and shooter, I used to win a number of competitions, yet I avoid any Ruger Mark pistols before the Mark IV because I could never get one back together. Even at my advanced age I am still a major threat in close quarters combat with a handgun. That said, I am still learning everyday more and more about trap shooting including about things I didn't even know were things until they were brought up.

Yes, it bothers me when people substitute opinions for fact and it bothers me even more when people who have the scientific training to know better craft research to support an opinion. It is almost worse when a so called expert is so afraid of losing that appellation fails to admit they might not actually know something to be, or not be.

^ You know, sometimes, I almost wonder if some folks just dig themselves too deep to be able to reverse-course. I know that there's probably much more to it than that, but at some point, I wonder if maybe even someone like Elizabeth Holmes didn't have a thought that she was over her head.

I am having a similar conversation elsewhere with a guy who was having a laugh at my expense over my asking if the Covid vax might have had something to do with me suddenly after all these years going into anaphylactic shock after a wasp sting. He said he, a zoologist and his wife, a veterinarian always laugh at idiots like me and makes some snarky comment about a double blind study or some such. I pointed out that neither of those degrees qualified one to espouse on virology or immunology. Especially since the zoology degree most likely doesn’t come with a doctorate degree. I told him it was irrelevant since clearly a dolt like me with a measly AA degree doesn’t understand the scientific method. It seems educated people often convince themselves they are the smartest person in the room regardless of the subject. My own highly educated wife called me an idiot and said that histamines don’t have anything to do with the immune system or the vaccination. I mean she’s probably right but it could have just been a lucky guess. I mean she’s just a CPA/ economist with a second degree in programming. What the hell could she know about wasp stings. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I actually think that this just applies to "people," in-general. :D
Sometimes. I’d say the percent of regular people that do it is about 35-40% and the percent of people with letters behind their name or even those with bachelors degrees is about 96.3%.

I sometimes point out to them that I may not be highly educated but I’m smart enough to make more money than they do at a job that only requires a GED, my debt to income ratio is tiny, my house is just about paid off and I am 52 years old and my only recurring debts are my wife’s addiction to new Toyota Avalons and my ammo bill.

^ That's some addiction!!!!!! 😁

1630603315292.png

Sometimes. I’d say the percent of regular people that do it is about 35-40% and the percent of people with letters behind their name or even those with bachelors degrees is about 96.3%.

I sometimes point out to them that I may not be highly educated but I’m smart enough to make more money than they do at a job that only requires a GED, my debt to income ratio is tiny, my house is just about paid off and I am 52 years old and my only recurring debts are my wife’s addiction to new Toyota Avalons and my ammo bill.

Bassbob

As someone with all those letters - some of the smartest people I know don't have any letters at all. One of my best friends often agonizes over the fact that he "lacks" a college education and yet he started out life selling ads in a throwaway newspaper and now owns 16 manufactured housing land lease communities in three states and a string of car washes and a couple of RV campgrounds.

I personally know over a 100 people with advance degrees (usually J.D. but even M.D.s) who don't even use their educations because they have found business more rewarding. I also knew a Harvard J.D. who was clerking in a Caseys because he couldn't make a success of practicing law. He ended up committing suicide.

There are some things that absolutely require advanced education, but many other things that do not. All the education in the world does not make someone smarter. It may make them more knowledgeable or more adapt at solving specific problems, but it never changes their basis character.

There are more PhDs I absolutely would not hire than H.S. graduates.

Bassbob

As someone with all those letters - some of the smartest people I know don't have any letters at all. One of my best friends often agonizes over the fact that he "lacks" a college education and yet he started out life selling ads in a throwaway newspaper and now owns 16 manufactured housing land lease communities in three states and a string of car washes and a couple of RV campgrounds.

I personally know over a 100 people with advance degrees (usually J.D. but even M.D.s) who don't even use their educations because they have found business more rewarding. I also knew a Harvard J.D. who was clerking in a Caseys because he couldn't make a success of practicing law. He ended up committing suicide.

There are some things that absolutely require advanced education, but many other things that do not. All the education in the world does not make someone smarter. It may make them more knowledgeable or more adapt at solving specific problems, but it never changes their basis character.

There are more PhDs I absolutely would not hire than H.S. graduates.

I agree. I know more than a few people with graduate degrees who are less successful than I am.

I was doing a job out in front of the downtown headquarters of the company I work for. Across the street comes a bunch of suits with ID badges. Engineers from the 4th floor. So this one stops and asks me, " How does it feel to be working so close to the engineers", to which I replied, " I don't know, how does it feel to know I made twice as much money as you did last year". Shut him up immediately. That's a true story.

Back