testtest

Canadian Military’s WWII-Era Browning Hi-Power Pistols Are Finally Being Replaced

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The pistol, which has been in service with the Canadian military since 1944, leaves behind a significant legacy as Sig’s P320 replaces it.

1714084363563.png

The Hi-Power is my favorite 9mm pistol. I have several of them. 😁
Just recently I was thinking that I'm getting old. It may be time to replace my beloved 1911 .45s for EDC. If that happens, I will go to a Hi-Power. ;)
Canada was one of the last hold outs for issuing a SA pistol and a great one at that. I hate to see them go, but I guess time marches on. Its really a shame that they will be destroyed. Lots of history in those guns. :(

I saw this article:
Canadian Military to Destroy 11,000 Second World War-era Pistols The Canadian military plans to destroy 11,000 of its Second World War-era pistols by the end of this year. The move comes as the
@CanadianForces
confirmed it has received the final deliveries of a new 9-mm pistol as part of a $19.4-million project. The military purchased the
@SigSauerINC
P320, which is being distributed to units. It replaces the
@BrowningArms
Hi-Power pistol that has been used by the Canadian Forces for decades.
@NationalDefence
spokesperson Cheryl Forrest said all military units would send their Browning handguns to Canadian Forces supply depots in Quebec and Alberta for disposal.“The pistols have not yet been destroyed,” she said in an email. “We anticipate the pistols will be disposed of by the end of 2024.” Forrest said approximately 150 Browning Hi-Power handguns would be kept for museums, but at this point none had been distributed to those organizations.In addition, the Canadian Army is determining if a small amount of the Brownings should be kept for special purposes or specific training, she added.“The Canadian Army keeps a small stock of older small arms and small arms in service in other countries to assist with training for emergency situations and for recognition,” Forrest said. “The Browning may also retain some training value as a simulation/training tool.” But no final decision on that has been made, she added. Read more at
@OttawaCitizen
👇
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/canadian-military-to-destroy-11000-second-world-war-era-pistols
#cdnpoli #firearms #guns #news #military #browning #sigsauer #NationalDefence

Canadian military to destroy 11,000 Second World War-era pistols

While I would like to see them sold here, bear in mind that these guns have been in service for close to 80 years. They're probably pretty much worn out. IIRC I read an article a couple of years ago stating that the whole reason for Canada seeking a new pistol was because their old Hi-Powers were worn out. But there's a good chance I'd buy one anyway. ;)
I do like the idea of sending them to Ukraine or other allied country. At least they wouldn't be destroyed.

Back