testtest

Caring for Your Ammo Stockpile

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good story here on how to care for your ammo stash, good tips and information, I myself use plastic ammo cans with the rubber seal on lids and rotate them on a regular basis.

I don’t worry too much about old ammo.

In fact, I don’t worry about it at all. I’ve fired ammo that was close to 100 years old that functioned fine.

Store in steel & plastic ammo cans, in a temperature stable environment. It’ll outlast you.

In fact, I don’t worry about it at all. I’ve fired ammo that was close to 100 years old that functioned fine.

Store in steel & plastic ammo cans, in a temperature stable environment. It’ll outlast you.
Depends.
I had 500 rounds of German army 7.62 NATO for the FAL. Sealed . Original containers.
About half of it wouldnt fire . Looked like brand new. Bought from trusted source and got a 50% refund.

This.

I have a large ammo can ( 18x8x14) that was rusted up pretty good when I got it. I used TSP, steel wool and black, brown and green spray paint to restore it. The rubber seal was/is fine. I got it for free. It currently houses somewhere between 1000-1500 12 gauge shotgun shells of varying flavors. Then I have 4 that are 10x4x7. Got those free too. Then I have probably 15 of the regular sized cans ( 12x6x8), all of which I bought new, in perfect condition for $11 or less. I don't know where this guy buys his ammo cans but $23 is ridiculous.

Some of my cans have desiccant packs that were repurposed from other stuff, but mostly I don't worry about it. I rotate my stock and I have never had any issues with moisture or failures.

right now, i just started rotating my ammo. (which some of that ammo is at least 2 years old now) i have all ammo stored in one of my metal cabinets, and in that cabinet is a large desiccant bag. then i the summer time, i run a de-humidifier.

When I was living in Texas, 5 years ago I bought a ton of ammunition 9, 40 and 45 I’ve gone through the 9mm and no longer own the 9 platform, my current 45 ACP Is within a year or two old but I do still have about 600 rounds of 40SW purchased in Texas and it shoots fine, it’s been kept in a humid free environment, (bedroom closet) where I have a Damp-Rid just been fortunate to not have any issues.

I'm a lazy turd. All my ammo is in the bottom of my office closet in boxes in which it shipped. Recently fired off 50 of 50 rounds of .38-special I bought in 1993 and had no failures. Never kept that box anywhere special...

I don't worry about humidity in AZ except for indoors when I run the swamp cooler. It's hell on guns if you forgot to remove them from a range bag. My ammo is primarily reloads and is stored in 100 round plastic boxes. Excess rounds are put in .30 caliber ammo cans. My safe is in the garage bolted to the floor and has a golden rod in it. It is used for guns, not ammo.

I have a guard cat

IMG_1835.jpg

Back