testtest

Cartridge of the Week

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The .270 Winchester
1621183869947.png

The .270 Winchester is a rifle cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1923 and unveiled in 1925 as a chambering for their bolt-action Model 54. The cartridge is the same length as the .280 Remington, both of which are longer than the .30-06 Springfield. The .270, .280, and .30-06 were all derived from the .30-03 parent case that came from the German 8x57 Mauser case which itself was based on the earlier 7x57 Mauser case. The .270 Winchester uses a .270 inch bore diameter and a .277 inch bullet diameter.

The .270 Winchester became a very popular cartridge due to the widespread praises of gunwriters like Townsend Whelen and Jack O'Connor who used the cartridge for 40 years and touted its merits in the pages of Outdoor Life. It drives an 130 gr bullet at approximately 3,140 ft/s, later reduced to 3,060 ft/s.

The cartridge demonstrated high performance at the time of its introduction and was marketed as being suitable for big game shooting in the 300 to 500 yd range, when that was considered long range hunting. With modern bullets and optics, it is easily a 1,000 yard cartridge. Two additional bullet weights were soon introduced: a 100 gr hollow-point bullet for vermin shooting, and a 150 gr bullet for deer, elk, and moose in big-game hunting.

Today, cartridges are commonly available from 100 to 160 gr sizes with 130 and 150 gr loads being by far the most popular. Handloaders have a larger range of options with the availability of bullets in a number of weights from 90 to 180 gr. Common bullet weight recommendations for shooting different game are as follows: 90–110 gr for animals smaller than coyotes, 130 gr for antelope or other animals up to the size of mule deer and 140–160 gr for deer, elk, moose, and some larger animals. Recent introductions of low-drag bullets suited to the .270 Winchester such as the Nosler Accubond Long-Range, Hornady ELD-X and Matrix long range bullets are promoting renewed interest in the cartridge among long range hunters.

While not an immediate success, over the succeeding decades and especially in the post-World War II period, the .270 Winchester attained great popularity among gun owners, metallic silhouette rifle shooters and hunters, ranking it among the most popular and widely used cartridges worldwide. Renowned gunsmith Harold Fredd considers the 270 to be one of the most versatile cartridges for North American hunting and has recently started promoting it for small to medium sized plains game animals.

While it is true that a .270 Winchester case can be formed from a .30-06 Springfield case, the case length of a .30-06 is 2.494 in while the case length of a .270 is 2.540 in, within .5mm of a .30-03 Springfield. However, "The slight difference in length of reformed cases doesn't make any practical difference."

Fantastic all around cartridge for deer in America. Also well adapted for hogs, black bear, big cats, etc, etc ...

Big white tail and large 300lb hogs have succumb to my Weatherby

My uncle would not carry any other rifle deer hunting that his .270. Looking back now, it was kind of a unique rifle. It was a Browning .270 lever action. I don't come across lever action .270s very often but he swore by his. I always thought it was a very nice looking rifle. He had a Leupold scope on it, can't remember the model of scope but this was way back in the mid 80's, I know he paid quite a bit for it, but he was convinced it was the best caliber for deer hunting. He was a great guy, sadly passed away just a few months ago, but always my favorite uncle. RIP.

Back