testtest

Concealed Carry Corner: Helpful Training Tips For Winter Carry

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
There’s a number of things about winter that seem simple, but can be rather tricky when it comes to handgun carry. Let’s take a closer look at some helpful training tips for winter carry.

Training Tips For Winter Carry

1641853822232.png

Seeing as there were plenty of pictures of gloves, I'd wished that there was a bit more detailed discussion about glove use..... I thought our running thread on the topic https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/shooting-gloves.5687/, started by @Keystone19250 back in November, provided much more detail.

That said, it's a good overall look at the multitude of considerations that can really make an impact as the weather changes and we start to layer up in winter-wear.

Personal opinion , the item many people, perhaps especially younger people, who live in cold climates lack is a pocket carry revolver for outer layers.

Pistols are just not the same in this role.
… I’d rather have a good ol backup revolver in a swamp, for that matter. Whole lot easier to clean quickly if it gets mucked…

… I’d rather have a good ol backup revolver in a swamp, for that matter. Whole lot easier to clean quickly if it gets mucked…
Here’s my take:

A revolver is the best choice for rough use, period.

Those legions who are going to 10mm autos for “bear” carry haven’t really thought it through. Sure, you may have more rounds, but when the muzzle is pressed into the ribcage when it turns out you *really* miscalculated?

One is definitely gonna go bang…the other? Only if you’re lucky.

Here’s my take:

A revolver is the best choice for rough use, period.

Those legions who are going to 10mm autos for “bear” carry haven’t really thought it through. Sure, you may have more rounds, but when the muzzle is pressed into the ribcage when it turns out you *really* miscalculated?

One is definitely gonna go bang…the other? Only if you’re lucky.
Agreed.

And I have been bear hunting with a handgun, and things can go from boring to bad breath in just about an eye blink. Make mine a revolver...

Last edited:
Personal opinion , the item many people, perhaps especially younger people, who live in cold climates lack is a pocket carry revolver for outer layers.

Pistols are just not the same in this role.

^ Towards that....

From - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/new-york-reload.8861 ...

Because of depth-of-concealment concerns, I typically only two-gun carry when I have a jacket of some sort on. Colder weather also means an extra layer of concealment for me to defeat to access my waistline EDC, so staging a snubbie in the front "handwarmer" pocket of my outer garment also allows me the ability to have a hand on the gun without anyone necessarily being tipped to my doing so, and confers the ability to shoot-through, should the situation require.

View attachment 19694

The picture was taken in late fall, 2011, Three Tango Firearms Academy, which was then under the care of the late Bill Holcomb.

It was a hot and humid day as only late fall in NE-Ohio can get....that sweat line you see there on my now-retired favorite ballcap? Yeah, that wasn't there at the beginning of that day!

I believe this picture was me trying to make sense of what happened to my Kahr PM9 after I tried shooting through the handwarmer pockets of my shrunken sweatshirt from undergrad.

After that class, I went out and bought my first wheel-gun.

^ If I have outerwear on, it's probably safe to assume that I've got the snubbie in the outer pocket. :)

I use a properly-sized pocket-holster for pocket-carry: not just to protect the trigger from unwanted interactions (and that pocket would be dedicated to the weapon, with no other items present), but also so that it stays properly indexed for presentation. [ Aside: Towards the latter, for fully in-pocked, discrete, carry of a pocket knife, I will clip the knife to a pocket magazine pouch, like the DeSantis Mag-Packer, so that it remains properly indexed for in-fight access. ] . Because of my use of the "coat gun," I favor a pocket-holsters like the DeSantis Nemesis, which allows in-pocket access, versus a more well-molded, pocket-hook release (like my Kahr PM9's D.M.Bullard leather pocket holster) or a static-line setup, like the MIC.

The pictured range-exercise was the instructor showing us what can potentially happen to a pocket-auto when fired from (or attempted to fire from, as depending on the design of the pocket and the user's hand position, the slide may be forced out-of-battery, thus preventing a successful discharge to begin with) inside the concealment garment's pocket. In order to accomplish this range-exercise, we (individually, this was not done as an line exercise) carefully staged the live weapon inside our pocket of-choice while maintaining full adherence to The Four Rules, and then discharged the firearm downrange.

But like a very well-known and highly-regarded holster maker I know once said...."what is a holster, but a *very* well-made pocket for the gun?" ;)

Back