testtest

CONCERNS OF BULLET OVER-PENETRATION IN CIVILIAN SHOOTINGS

In .380 and lower, I use FMJ; FN-FMJ if an option. My Sig 238 is stoked with Winchester “Train” FN-FMJ.

.38spl, I prefer SWC-HP; if it doesn’t expand, the sharp SWC shoulders cut a full-caliber channel.

9mm and up? Heavyweight JHP.

This is for biped defense, of course. Dangerous quadrupeds get a caliber that begins with 4, and a heavy, hot, flat nose hard cast.

I know of some skilled folks that use fragible self defense ammo (remember the Glaser Safety slug?) because of the risk of over penetratio in certain circumstances/conditions & environments. It works fine in soft tissue but fragments against hard surfaces.

After experimenting with .357 Mag Glaser blues…

I wouldn’t touch any of that crap.

Shot 6” high at 20’, and didn’t “frange” when it hit 1/2” drywall.

And at $2 a round? It’s overpriced crap.

On the subject of having the first round or two JHP and the rest FMJ…not the best idea. You’re adding complexity into the system with having different rounds.

Additionally, most top-tier JHP’s, particularly ones designed for LE use (HST, Ranger-T, etc) still expand and penetrate deep after barriers…so that argument really isn’t valid.

The entire thing reads like it was written 20+ years ago, before bullet technology advanced…or the writer’s mindset is stuck in that time.
Every hand gun in my carry rotation the chamber and mag is loaded with JHP all are Hornady critical defense rounds in respective calibers, if and when I carry extra magazines which is usually only during wildlife rescue calls they are filled with FMJ and yes I’ve trained extensively at the range going from one type of round to another.

Every hand gun in my carry rotation the chamber and mag is loaded with JHP all are Hornady critical defense rounds in respective calibers, if and when I carry extra magazines which is usually only during wildlife rescue calls they are filled with FMJ and yes I’ve trained extensively at the range going from one type of round to another.
Having spare magazines with different rounds is a completely different proposition than having mixed rounds in the same mag.

When I carried a 1911 (and still occasionally do) I have JHP’s in the pistol, and spares of FMJ…of similar weight and velocity of the JHP’s.

I've always make it a point to carry at least one FMJ in every magazine, simply because I carry in the wilderness quite often. But it also makes me feel good that if I ever find myself in a situation where I am expending rounds on a target and the rounds are not having the desired effect, knowing, at some point, the FMJ is going to zip right through the target is a little comfort, I suppose. I always think back to the Florida FBI case, where a few FMJs might have helped.

Back