testtest

Coronavirus kitchen: What to stock, cook if you face a 14-day quarantine

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Be practical.

https://www.reporterherald.com/2020...-to-stock-cook-during-a-potential-quarantine/

A friend of mine had the following observations in a store.

**Most of the good pasta was still on the shelf but all the bricks of ramen noodles were gone (??)
**No soup left except six cans of 180 calorie Italian Wedding soup (it says Italian on the label so it must be dangerous).
**A guy went by with a cart full of only potato chips, Cheetos and Doritos (yep, he’s going to need all that toilet paper he’s hoarding)
**All the bars of soap were there but not a single bottle of liquid soap (because the liquid soap at least FEELS like hand sanitizer).
**One woman had a hand basket full of make up and mascara (surely you need to look your best when you are quarantined at home)
**All the canned vegetables were mostly gone except stewed okra (I get it, it does look like a can of alien slime), and finally
**No paper goods of any kind or glue or duct tape (they must be duct taping the ramen bricks together for a raft in case the virus causes a flood...)

Living, err, existing a lot of my life where it snows. Yes, the real stuff measured in feet, yards or meters, I keep a 30 day + supply of everything. So we are good to go most likely two months. Ain't no big deal.

The people listening to all the media garbage are causing their own shortages.

I've been snowed in and without power for a long as seven days, so I keep enough on hand to get me through two weeks comfortably and at least a month if I am frugal. What really concerns me is how irrational people get when things start looking bad.

I have also been without power for long periods of time. One winter we lost it for 7 days, came back on for a day then it went out for 6 days. I make sure I have a months worth of supplies and the generator on standby.

I have also been without power for long periods of time. One winter we lost it for 7 days, came back on for a day then it went out for 6 days. I make sure I have a months worth of supplies and the generator on standby.
Speaking of generators, I need to roll mine out and do a run test on it. Try to do it monthly/every-other-month, but that doesn't always happen. Now that gas is dropped ($1.89 here currently), I also need to fill my spare gas cans. I have three 5 gallon cans I rotate through for the lawnmower, and have some on-hand for the generator.

Speaking of generators, I need to roll mine out and do a run test on it. Try to do it monthly/every-other-month, but that doesn't always happen. Now that gas is dropped ($1.89 here currently), I also need to fill my spare gas cans. I have three 5 gallon cans I rotate through for the lawnmower, and have some on-hand for the generator.
I just had to buy a new one. Mice got into the panel of the one I had and chewed every wire. I would test it every month. (as far as it turning on). Now I will be checking voltages as well. That was an expensive mistake that wont happen again.

Got my Vienna Sausages, Spam, Tuna, Chicken Breast, Beanie Weenie's, Ravioli, Mashed Taters, Rice all kinds of veggies and even two dozen cans of mushrooms. Soups of all flavors. We would be stuck with steaks, ribs, chops and roast for meats. Any kids that are hungry can have burgers, dogs and fries.
Have backup power on the RAM should it go out. Gas range and propane grill we can cook.
Having been raised and stationed in some places that have tough winters we still have the
stock up mentality. Keep enough to get by easily and if need be share with others.

I just had to buy a new one. Mice got into the panel of the one I had and chewed every wire. I would test it every month. (as far as it turning on). Now I will be checking voltages as well. That was an expensive mistake that wont happen again.
jmcd, you may want to pay someone to rewire the old one (if it's cheaper than what you paid for it). Keep it as a backup. I went to a full house propane tank generator (17K) after hurricane Sandy. I previously had a portable gas generator (5KW), and my Tacoma 400W inverter in the truck's bed. I was without power after Sandy for 36 hours, while down the street the majority lost power for 8 days. Lines at gas stations, etc., convinced me to get 1) a wood pellet stove, and 2) a full house generator. I went nuts living the 36 hours on the small generator (enough to run refrigerator, freezer, TV, DVD & sound system, and fan. (more like washer, etc, if I disconnected other appliance(s).)). I don't know how you that lost power for 7-8 days could stand it, I was worried on where to get gas etc., if out more then the 36 hours. My problem now is getting propane filled after 2-3 days of full generator running. Not a problem of routine calling and getting a delivery, but one of availability if they have people out sick with this virus.

My brother had a generator, and it wouldn't deliver power to the outlets. Turns-out he had to replace the wiring harness. Thankfully, it was available to order, and he could do the job himself.

During the ice storm of '09, my neighbor basically killed his generator by running it 24/7......and failed to check the oil.

We didn't have a generator then, so I was in the garage heating water for instant oatmeal, coffee, etc, on my little two-burner propane camp stove.

My brother had a generator, and it wouldn't deliver power to the outlets. Turns-out he had to replace the wiring harness. Thankfully, it was available to order, and he could do the job himself.

During the ice storm of '09, my neighbor basically killed his generator by running it 24/7......and failed to check the oil.

We didn't have a generator then, so I was in the garage heating water for instant oatmeal, coffee, etc, on my little two-burner propane camp stove.
Having been spoiled with electrical comforts etc., I honestly don't think I could hack the pioneers life style. I know some do, and guess if you had to do it to live, it could be done, but I get anxious living without said comforts for very long duration's.

jmcd, you may want to pay someone to rewire the old one (if it's cheaper than what you paid for it). Keep it as a backup. I went to a full house propane tank generator (17K) after hurricane Sandy. I previously had a portable gas generator (5KW), and my Tacoma 400W inverter in the truck's bed. I was without power after Sandy for 36 hours, while down the street the majority lost power for 8 days. Lines at gas stations, etc., convinced me to get 1) a wood pellet stove, and 2) a full house generator. I went nuts living the 36 hours on the small generator (enough to run refrigerator, freezer, TV, DVD & sound system, and fan. (more like washer, etc, if I disconnected other appliance(s).)). I don't know how you that lost power for 7-8 days could stand it, I was worried on where to get gas etc., if out more then the 36 hours. My problem now is getting propane filled after 2-3 days of full generator running. Not a problem of routine calling and getting a delivery, but one of availability if they have people out sick with this virus.
I had an authorized dealer pick it up and they were going to have to replace the entire control panel and wiring harness and some hoses. It was a mess. Home Depot had a Black Friday sale so I grabbed another one. It was actually a bit bigger and cheaper than the one I bought 15 years ago. I hooked it all into a transfer switch so it runs everything except the 220-240 volt stuff. I have a propane stove to use in place of the house one so I am good there. My furnace (oil) runs on 110-120 volt so I have heat and hot water. That's how I made it for that long with the 2 week incident before. I don't run it continuously, a couple of hours at a time during the day and give it a rest so I think I went through 15 gallons during the two weeks I was out. With that kind of fuel consumption, I am good for about 6 weeks.

I looked into the whole home one and with the propane and everything else it was going to come out to around 12 thousand to install and hook up. I didn't think it was that economical with it being 80 hour run time at half load so I decided to stick with what I know and worked before.

This is what I ended up getting. The one I replaced was also a Westinghouse and that thing was solid for 15 years.
This was $680 delivered.

I had an authorized dealer pick it up and they were going to have to replace the entire control panel and wiring harness and some hoses. It was a mess. Home Depot had a Black Friday sale so I grabbed another one. It was actually a bit bigger and cheaper than the one I bought 15 years ago. I hooked it all into a transfer switch so it runs everything except the 220-240 volt stuff. I have a propane stove to use in place of the house one so I am good there. My furnace (oil) runs on 110-120 volt so I have heat and hot water. That's how I made it for that long with the 2 week incident before. I don't run it continuously, a couple of hours at a time during the day and give it a rest so I think I went through 15 gallons during the two weeks I was out. With that kind of fuel consumption, I am good for about 6 weeks.

I looked into the whole home one and with the propane and everything else it was going to come out to around 12 thousand to install and hook up. I didn't think it was that economical with it being 80 hour run time at half load so I decided to stick with what I know and worked before.

This is what I ended up getting. The one I replaced was also a Westinghouse and that thing was solid for 15 years.
This was $680 delivered.

Nice. I didn't hook up my portable to the house using a transfer switch. It also was a Home Depot buy, Briggs and Stratton 6050w start up surge / 5000w generator. My whole house cost was $7K fully installed. It's Generac, so it can run 1/2 (saves propane consumption), or full depending on all that I have turned on at the time. I only got a 100 gallon propane tank, as it's the usual capacity the propane fuel company I selected provides for generator only service.

Speaking about Generators I have this one bolted to the back of my camper.
DEC5800D-2972-40CD-928D-557D8294A60F.jpeg

My camper is secured in a covered structure and can’t be seen so I should be ok from it being stolen. If need be I can always move to The camper if it gets real bad.

Back