testtest

Die Types and a little on the SIG

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
For straight walled cases there are steel and carbide sizing dies available.
I prefer the carbide as the case need not be lubricated prior to sizing. Cost is not that bad.
Taper cases require lube prior to sizing so will entail that extra step.

As I shoot pistol and we're talking mostly straight cases with them, my dirty, fresh from the range brass
gets decapped and sized all at one time. Carbide is tough and the powder residue won't hurt them.

My beloved 357 SIG is a horse of a whole different color. With the shoulder the upper portion in the SIG Die needs lubed.
But, remember that the SIG is based on the 40S&W/10mm.
Initially I decap and size the lower case using my 40Cal carbide die.
With the primer out I'll now clean the cases. Cleaning done the SIG's are lubed, run in the SIG die, then the mouth expanded.
I like spray lube for cases. Done outside the wife approves also.

Lastly, for the 40/SIG round I have a full length sizing die. This punches the WHOLE case up through it. I have rigged up a
hose at the top to dumped the resized cases in to a container. Saves me pulling them off one at a time.....
I have found that sizing the full case at times, makes the SIG more consistent in feeding.

To avoid being boring that's all for now. All comments appreciated.

What is your reason for the 40 die?
I have three 40 S&W pistols and shoot them quite a bit. The 40 resizing die is Carbide and the same size as the lower portion of the 357 SIG case. Soooo, I can decap the 357 SIG and then clean the case.
The 357 SIG resizing dies are Steel so the case needs to be lubricated prior to sizing. As I wouldn't want to lube a dirty case, I'd clean them first. With the SIG case cleaned I can then Lube, resize and decap in the SIG steel die.
Problem is now I have to take and clean out the primer pockets. Extra Work. I despise extra work.

So, already having the 40 die gives me an advantage of having the case cleaning process do the primer pockets for me. Remember the 357 SIG case is an off spring of the 40S&W/10mm case.

Wow! Did I write all that??? Hope it's no too confusing...

I have three 40 S&W pistols and shoot them quite a bit. The 40 resizing die is Carbide and the same size as the lower portion of the 357 SIG case. Soooo, I can decap the 357 SIG and then clean the case.
The 357 SIG resizing dies are Steel so the case needs to be lubricated prior to sizing. As I wouldn't want to lube a dirty case, I'd clean them first. With the SIG case cleaned I can then Lube, resize and decap in the SIG steel die.
Problem is now I have to take and clean out the primer pockets. Extra Work. I despise extra work.

So, already having the 40 die gives me an advantage of having the case cleaning process do the primer pockets for me. Remember the 357 SIG case is an off spring of the 40S&W/10mm case.

Wow! Did I write all that??? Hope it's no too confusing...
I usually run the decap deeper and then adjust it back, too each is own.

No problem. I feel that the crud on the brass gets off with the carbide and then I lube and run in the steel die to size the upper. Follow that by expanding the mouth. Then do the cleaning to get lube and dirt off.

On the SIG once I decap I check the case length. Separate them to keep within a couple thousandths of each other. That way I can maintain a consistent crimp.
I have all ways had a little difficulty getting the SIG's right so the bullet stays put during recoil.

I usually taper down .020" to .025", but probable back off about .5gr from your load and work up too be on the safe side.
Pressure can jump very quickly, have to be careful on high pressure cartridges when approaching the top end.
I do like the Lee factory crimp die. I don't seem to get the bullet reset like I did in the past. Those a little unnerving.

Back