testtest

Do Bullet Grains Refer to Gunpowder?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
When buying factory ammunition, referring to bullet grains has nothing to do with how much gunpowder the cartridge has. The term “grains” refers to the projectile’s mass or weight.

Do Bullet Grains Refer to Gunpowder?

1649523033967.png

Depends, actually. In the case of the .45-70, the 70 is how many grains of black powder are used. In the casr of .30-06 the 06 is the year the cartridge was invented. It all just depends really
The 3rd number was left off, but could be added back on by the manufacturers. Like 45-70-500 and so forth. Caliber, grains of powder and bullet weight in that order. It would/could be interesting if that was done nowadays?

I guess any reloader would know that. Thinking back to my younger days, I had no clue what "grains" were. The confusion comes because bullets AND powder weight are BOTH measured in grains. I can use a 300 grain Partition bullet in my 45-70, but the powder charge is likely to be (H4198) between 53-63 grains, depending upon the bullet design.

Thankful that my master gunsmith buddy taught me all he knew before he died.

Depends, actually. In the case of the .45-70, the 70 is how many grains of black powder are used. In the casr of .30-06 the 06 is the year the cartridge was invented. It all just depends really
Aren't those cartridge designations though. They don't have "gr." behind them, as in 180gr., etc..

That still doesn’t refer to bullet weight.

A .45-70 with a 300gr bullet doesn’t have 300gr of powder; a .45acp with a 230gr bullet doesn’t have 230gr of powder.

Could you imagine a 300 grain 45-70 cartridge somehow stuffed with 300 grains of gunpowder? I know it's impossible, but dang, that'd be a missile in anyone's book.

Back