testtest

Double-Action vs. Single-Action Revolvers

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Revolvers come in many flavors, many shapes and sizes, and many different configurations. The two main platforms are the single action and the double action. Which one is best for you is ultimately a matter of preference.

Double-Action vs. Single-Action Revolvers

1607967129340.png

I'm not much for double action revolvers, especially for self defense or combat.

Single action revolvers I love for hunting and, in the past, for cowboy action shooting. Having participated in both SASS and CMSA I would, if other guns were not available, be reasonably confident in using a single action for self defense. When you know what you are doing and have the practice you can get 6 shots off accurately faster than you can with a semi auto.

I love beautiful revolvers. While I'm a 1911-A1 man at heart, I do own a couple revolvers.

Gun shops I've recently been in had very, very few revolvers in display cases. The one I was in yesterday had 1. Demand for revolvers seems to have waned. From my limited perspective, it seems as though striker-fired handguns are dominating handgun purchases.

There will forever until eternity be demand for 1911-A1s.

BTW, I was in a gun shop yesterday because my friend, who would give a body part for a Springfield Armory TRP, thought he saw a Professional Model on display for an asking price of 2k. I told him that it was deal of a lifetime. It turned out to be another brand of 1911-A1 that was hugely overpriced.

I have at least two friends who have names on waiting lists for Springfield Armory 1911-A1 .45 ACP handguns, both of whom will become first-time owners of a 1911-A1, excluding one who owns a Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM. I told her it was the best concealed carry handgun I've ever owned. She believed me. She loves hers.

Last edited:
I own both types, but find I shoot even the DA revolvers in Single Action. I should probably practice more with DA, to get use to the trigger pull, but find I'm more accurate shooting SA. Either way, they're fun to shoot (even my 454 Casull, but just not as many rounds as the others). :sneaky:

I am almost tempted to get one of the Ruger Wrangler revolvers, I can at least get ammo for that.......

I highly recommend it, especially if you have kids. My boys can easily blow through 500 rounds in semi-auto's during a short afternoon trip to the land. Having to individually extract the empty casings and reload each cylinder really slows down the shooting process. I was worried that the Rough Riders might bore the kids, but it turns out that they really enjoy them. There is something about the detailed process that actually makes them feel more of a connection to the firearm.

I thought is was interesting that the author said a revolver could be used for hunting or as a backup carry gun. I think a lot of folks carry a revolver as a primary carry gun. It would be interesting to see statistics if they were available.

During the colder months I often carry a double-action revolver with a concealed hammer (S&W 642 or S&W 351C) in the exterior pocket of my jacket. My primary EDC is still in my waistband, but I like having the revolver immediately accessible if multiple layers of clothing make it difficult to reach my EDC. I also like that a revolver with a concealed hammer can be fired from inside the pocket in an absolute emergency, and the double-action trigger makes a negligent discharge highly unlikely.

Back