testtest

Double-Feed — How To Clear the Stoppage with One Hand

I liked that Shaw covered several different methods. (y) A local friend was among the first to attend his classes, and I've always like Shaw, from what he had to say about this particular instructor.

One iteration of the double-feed reduction that wasn't covered here is first locking the slide back, which can potentially significantly relieve the cartridge-on-case/cartridge "camming effect" and allow the magazine to be stripped free more easily. Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting that this technique is superior - just that it is an alternative.

Overall, shooters should realize that these types of drills can be practiced to a large degree with dry-fire, even in the comfort (and confines) of their homes.

In terms of live-fire, Chris Costa's HET2 as well as Centrifuge Training's classes really hit hard on single-handed, injured-shooter scenarios, but more and more these days, local-level training classes are starting to recognize the value in teaching these techniques and skills. Locally, for example, one of my states' two most active 2A societies - The Buckeye Firearms Association (BFA) - sponsors a class that's dedicated to this type of techniques.

Smaller class sizes or even a private/semi-private class can offer more opportunities, too, as with certain methods of attacking various stoppages, there may be line-safety concerns (i.e. muzzle sideways techniques).

Just as you'd make sure that your gun was safe to practice these skills at home, please also take the time to vet your training class's instructional cadre. I unfortunately can no longer find the link to cite the story, but it was only a few years ago where a woman in her concealed-handgun class (a novice/beginner-level class) was improperly taught a critical single-handed technique (the "chest roll," which, when accomplished properly, is an absolutely safe and effective technique) while using a live weapon, and shot herself dead.

Last edited:
Back