testtest

EDC flashlights

Sld1959

Hellcat
What lights do you carry on a regular basis?

I have very light sensitive eyes, so I do not generally go for the huge output lights. I have a couple laying around in the vehicles for uses where long throw and output might come in handy.

Generally most of my carry lights run between 50 and a top of around 350 lumen output. Which I find about right, especially indoors or around vegetation where refelection actually can blind me.

I have a true love affair with AAA lights and probably 2 or 3 of them for every other type.

My pocket light is an Olight I3T os which has two levels, 5, and 180 lumen. I feed it AAA Energizer lithium for max life and runtime. And my coat pocket and bedside light is a Streamlight 1l/1aa dual fuel light which uses either a Cr123 or AA battery. I keepbot stocked with a CR123.

My work lights are a AAA mimimag and a AAA Inova penlight.

20210718_114457.jpg

20210718_121817.jpg

…well…
I got a couple a GI angle head flashlights laying around, I think.
And maybe my old State Trooper sized ‘knock ‘em in the head if they talk back’ Maglite. Dad gave me that for Christmas way back in the 90s; they were advertised on TV “maglite flashlight - the perfect gift”… ( and it kinda was! I’m really not interested in a micro light I have to recharge via my laptop or whatev…. :) )

My workday-EDC since this past December has been a Surefire Stiletto Pro, which effectively replaced the both the EDCL2-T (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/show-off-your-every-day-carry.177/page-2#post-96400, which I carried since 2/2018, replacing the EB2-T that I'd carried for three years prior: https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/carry-flashlights.222/#post-2851 ) and LX2 (which I've carried since 2012).

The multi-mode capability of the Stiletto Pro really is handy for my everydays, with the 25-lumens low mode really hitting the sweet-spot for my work use. Its highest output at 1000 lumens - even though it is quite diffuse (at only 5,100 candela) due to the MaxVision optics - still allows me to feel reasonably prepared even if I don't get to switch to my night-time light. I was a skeptic at first, but that level of admin. functionality, coupled with well thought-out tailcap immediate access to high output and a form factor that is both easy to carry as well as still lends to traditional low-light handgun techniques really made me a convert. Battery life has been outstanding, and the external charge-status indicator also helps minimize worry. Overall, it's really been a Goldilocks package, for me.

For night-time, my current EDC is a ModLite PLH 5K head paired with its 18650 body. At only 1,500 OTF lumens, the optics focuses the light to 29,000 candela, which I feel is a great pairing with the rather anemic Surefire XC-1 on my EDC XDM9 3.8 Compact. I've debated back-and-forth pairing it with my OKW head (680 lumens, 69,000 candela) or even purchasing the v2 PLH (1,350 lumens, 54,000 candela), but I really like the warmer tint of the 5K head. That said, the ability of the OKW to really punch through photonics barriers is no joke, and I find myself torn between the two, particularly as I own both. Regardless, each of these two mitigates the throw issue that I face with the little XC-1, and even the Stiletto Pro.

For "lesser" tasks, I go to my keychain, which hosts both a BIGi Design LED TPC pocket clip (my vehicle uses the usual "SmartKey" that most late-model cars are equipped with, so the clip keeps my keys both easily accessible and well-indexed at the outside seam) as well as a RovyVon Aurora A8U.

Last edited:
Usually carry the Streamlight in my pocket. Use the Powertac (M5) around the house.

Attachments

• 20210718_124256.jpg
    20210718_124256.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 196
I started out years ago with the old ever-ready flashlights. You could take two 2 D cell lights and make a 4 D cell just by changing the bulb. Then I got a Mag-lite flashlight and had the 2 D cell , the 3 D cell , and the 4 D cell . During this time I also had a mini -mag light I carried in a belt holster.

When I learned of the Surefire brand I got a 6P at 65 lumens . Then I bought a surefire E1L at 30 lumens. Then came a 9P at 105 lumen . I now have a surefire Z2 , and two G2Zs to go along with the other surefire flashlights. I have upgraded bulbs advertised at 1,000 lumens in each of the bigger lights. They are considerably brighter then the original bulbs and I have upgraded the E1L to a 45 lumen led head.

I have carried a Streamlight Microstream since they came out at 28 lumens . I now have one at 45 lumens and the newest Microstream USB at 50/250 lumens.

Back