testtest

Extended Slide Release for 9mm 1911-A1

I just acquired a Springfield 9mm 1911-A1 and I want to get an extended slide release. I was wondering if anyone knows if the full size 9mm 1911 requires a 9mm specific slide release or if it will take a standard .45 acp slide release?

There are differences between a 9mm & .45 acp slide stops/releases.
If you check the Wilson website, they don't differentiate between many frame parts for 9mm or 45acp. That's usually a good indicator.

Parts makers group slide releases by .45 and 9mm/.38. and 9mm/38 Super shelf width is longer than 45s.

.45 slide stop pin lengths come any where from .197-.203, but 9mm/38 Super are longer. The length difference is how far the “shelf” that extends into the mag well and contacts the magazine follower protrudes inwards. That varies as well between manufacturers.

slide-stop-png.861750

The one on the right is a 9mm, .45 in the middle, with the left one is a 9mm with just a different profile than the one on the right.

Wilson sells separate slide releases for the .45 & the 9mm/38 Super.

Colt numbers theirs slide stops like this.

1-45 ACP
2-22 conversion
3-38/9
4-10mm/40

Bullets can hit a 9mm slide stop in a .45 and cause it to lock open with bullets still in the mag. You should always inspect the slide stop lobe or shelf for brass lines even a .45 slide stop in a .45 needs to be dressed back some times to keep the top round from hitting it on its way up.

VGLaUVr.jpg

zFVPfqi.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t try it with a mag full of snap caps or anything, I just tried it with empty mag to see if it functioned, it did, but didn’t know there were ones for different calibers

Back