testtest

Extreme Close-Quarter Rifle and Handgun Training

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
For many people, defensive use of a handgun and/or rifle will most likely occur inside the home or in confined areas. This makes an encounter at extreme close quarters (defined as within two arms’ reach) a real possibility. PDN demonstrate handgun drawing and how to control a rifle to best defend against close-quarter threats.

Handgun Draw for Close-Quarter Shooting
1671745863093.jpeg

Extreme Close-Quarter Rifle Training
1671745917866.jpeg

The techniques for extreme close-quarter rifle use could also apply to shotgun use although there maybe differences.

BB may be able to explain those differences.

For many people, defensive use of a handgun and/or rifle will most likely occur inside the home or in confined areas. This makes an encounter at extreme close quarters (defined as within two arms’ reach) a real possibility. PDN demonstrate handgun drawing and how to control a rifle to best defend against close-quarter threats.

Handgun Draw for Close-Quarter Shooting
View attachment 33894

Extreme Close-Quarter Rifle Training
View attachment 33895

The techniques for extreme close-quarter rifle use could also apply to shotgun use although there maybe differences.

BB may be able to explain those differences.

Honestly I don't really know the differences because I have almost zero formal training with a carbine. I can tell you that there are a lot of guys on the internet ( I am not referring to the video you posted because I haven't had a chance to view it yet) who have no business giving advice on training or techniques.

The Lucky Gunner guys say you need to have a regular stock or better yet, a stock like the Magpul SGA to effectively short stock a shotgun. I can tell you that recoil wise, even with the push pull method, it is infinitely easier to short stock a shotgun with a pistol grip. You do need to practice this in either case because those hulls are gonna eject right next to your face and with a semi auto they're going to come out damn fast. So pay attention, start slow and get your index point and make sure you train on it until it is muscle memory. I have a bunch of bone fragments floating around in my right elbow socket which make it impossible for me to fully bend my arm at the elbow. This is a not insignificant hindrance with this technique. With a traditional stock ( I recommend not having one of these on your shotgun unless it is the SGA) it is probably easier to use a technique for short stocking other than Rob H's. One that entails having the shotgun by your side, very similar to retention shooting with a handgun ( A Magpul VFG on an MOE forend is helpful here). Recoil mitigation using that technique is quite a bit different and requires more upper body strength, but if the bolt is on the right as with the majority of SA's ( The TS-12 bolt is ambi and I have mine on the left) you can hold the gun against your outer thigh which will help.

In any case it is a less than ideal solution. With a shotgun anyway. House clearing in Mosul with an M4, yeah, that's going to be the ticket, but in the event you are forced to go out into your house looking for a violent intruder ( also not a good plan unless you have no choice) you would probably be better served with a handgun in most cases.

Oh duh, I should have looked at the video. I see in the second ( bottom) picture above in the opening post the guy is holding his AR the way you would hold a shotgun in the second technique I described.

The typical technique for a shotgun is to pivot the shotgun 45 degrees towards your chest ( rotate from 12:00 to 9:00 for a righty) and throw the stock up on top of your shoulder. That is the technique invented or popularized by Rob Haught. If it were me, with an M4 or an AR, I would use Rob's technique over the one in the picture above.

Whatever technique you favor the key is to drill it. Drill it again, then drill it some more. And again. Etc.

I think the point of two article/vids above is what techniques you could use in extreme close quarters (defined as within two arms’ reach).

Shouldering a long gun or extending your pistol within that distance may not be an option when the threat is that close & possibly closing.

Whatever you choose to do, I agree to drill baby drill. :sneaky:

Besides the above PDN techniques for very close range point shooting the Center Axis Relock and High Ready techniques can be used when a full extension hold can't/shouldn't be used.

Center Axis Relock

C.A.R._image3_800.jpg

High Ready

high_ready-239x300.jpg

Modified High Ready JW Type

car-shooting-john-wick-1024x538.jpg

By the way, since we are talking shotguns. For a limited time GG&G is running a 15% discount sitewide with the code "Scrooge".

If you don't know who GG&G is and you are interested in innovative solutions for defensive shotguns I highly suggest you check them out. They have lots of cool stuff for Berettas, Benellis, Remingtons and Mossbergs.

Back