testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

I'm not finding the Prodigy listed on the Firstline program. I can be pretty impulsive but I'm holding off on trying to order until I find out one way or another if the discount will be offered.

Happen to have any insight?
I see it on the website...

I bought both 4.25 & 5 inch models w/o optic. I took them to the range today and was greatly disappointed. First few rounds out of them felt great, then I had nothing but feed and magazine issues. I shot 250+ rounds out of both, I shot Remington, Federal, Winchester, Sig Elite, Sperry Gold Dot - 115g, 124g, 147g standard and +P, FMJ and JHP and it just did not matter. Out of the 500 rds through both, I had well over 150 fail to feeds. I also had the follower in the magazines get stuck half way and literally could turn the magazine over and rounds fall out. Felt like I was shooting a 22LR with rounds nose diving in the magazine but that was with both the 17 & 20 round mags. Took both back to the LGS and their gunsmith looked at them both and the videos I took showing the issues. They took the magazines apart and the follower was getting jammed in the mag tube, the mag spring was not very strong. The cleaned up the followers so they do not catch now in the mag tube but no change to be honest. I have sent Springfield 2 emails and waiting reply and the LGS is calling them on Tuesday after this holiday weekend to see what can be done to fix this problem. The 4.25 refuses to feed JHP out of any magazine I use, I can rack one in and FTF the next round every time. So for now they are expensive paper weights as I can not trust either one to run if I need it to. Biggest disappointment I have ever had with new out of the box firearms. I was so made I told them take them back and give me the Sig 229 Legion and X-Macro, I know they will run and be dependable. Amazing how all the "Gun Tubers" guns run flawlessly and you get one and issue after issue. Springfield has one chance to make things right or they are gone!
Well I was able to contact Springfield first thing when they opened today after the holiday weekend, I must say they were very polite and I explained all the issues I have had with both my Prodigy models. I was provided an RMA # and a FedEx Express return label to ship them both back to them so they are headed out via FedEx today and should have them before the end of the week. Was told 2-4 weeks turn time so we will see once I get them back if they function and will run without the FTFs and other issues.

I have heard a lot of good things about Springfield and their customer service/warranty honoring and repairs. I hope that remains the case as when they shoot, they are very accurate and a pleasure to shoot when not clearing malfunctions.

One thing puzzles me - why didn't SA take the opportunity to update the barrel and locking system? Eliminate the locking lugs and lock up on the chamber like most modern pistols and eliminate the swinging link like virtually every modern pistol. If nothing else, seems like they would save on machining time and costs. Still planning on getting one when I can afford it, though.

Does anyone know the height of the front sight? I'm not a big fan of fiber optic sights, and if I should happen to become an owner, most likely the 4.25-inch model, I'll want to replace at least the front sight with a tritium one.

Interesting talk between Tom Gresham and Rob Leatham on "Gun Talk" about the making of the Prodigy (2 years in the making), and among other things, the possibility of future models in different calibers (due to size in magazine), and Compact versions. Duration 12:11:

Interesting talk between Tom Gresham and Rob Leatham on "Gun Talk" about the making of the Prodigy (2 years in the making), and among other things, the possibility of future models in different calibers (due to size in magazine), and Compact versions. Duration 12:11:

So, the size of the magazine will work for anything from 9mm to 10mm and 45. And therein lies its downfall as a candidate for an ideal carry gun. Whatever capacity of 9mm you shorten the grip to accommodate, it will always be bigger than it needs to be. Bigger than a comparable pistol that is designed from the start specifically for 9mm.

If they made a Prodigy with a shorter grip and a 10 round capacity, I would still choose to carry my DW Guardian (a 1911 bobtail Commander) in 38 Super. The butt of the gun would be slightly longer on the DW, but way less bulky at the bottom, where it would be of concern for printing under a shirt. I believe even a short, 10 round, Prodigy would print more than a full-sized, bobtail single stack. Plus, 10 rounds of 38 Super > 10 rounds of 9mm. And, a full-sized single stack grip is also going to more comfortable for most people to shoot than a subcompact double stack grip of the same capacity.

Sorry to hear about the teething issues some folks are having. I’m a bit peeved at Springfield right now. Simply because they released this gun literally two months after the mag ban went into effect in my state. So now we’re limited to 10 rounds. Had it been a few months earlier I would of bought this in a heartbeat. I know staccato makes 10 rounders and I think this gun would accept staccato mags if I read that right. However the cost of the gun to only get 10 rounds isn’t worth it. Hell my 1911 run the Wilson combat 10 rounders no problem. Hopefully the mag ban goes away. I was saving for a staccato C2 but might save the 500 bucks or so cause I really like this gun. The staccato is likely better, assuming based on price but I doubt I would notice the difference much. Plus all my Springfield have just been fantastic.

I took my Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy (4.25") on the range today for the second time. Both times it jammed before I could get 60 rounds. Today's jam requires a gunsmith. For $1500 I expect reliability and performance - not a gun that can't run through three clips before jamming.

One thing puzzles me - why didn't SA take the opportunity to update the barrel and locking system? Eliminate the locking lugs and lock up on the chamber like most modern pistols and eliminate the swinging link like virtually every modern pistol. If nothing else, seems like they would save on machining time and costs. Still planning on getting one when I can afford it, though.
Because the prodigy is based on the 1911, not any other design, this design has been used over 100 years. This is basically a 2011 pistol with Springfield’s touch.

I took my Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy (4.25") on the range today for the second time. Both times it jammed before I could get 60 rounds. Today's jam requires a gunsmith. For $1500 I expect reliability and performance - not a gun that can't run through three clips before jamming.
What kind of jam do you have? Why a gunsmith? Can you post a picture?

Live round in chamber, slide will not move and hammer stuck.

Attachments

• FB76BC3F-FE6C-4E71-9F04-04522CD9B3A7.jpeg
    FB76BC3F-FE6C-4E71-9F04-04522CD9B3A7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175
Live round in chamber, slide will not move and hammer stuck.
Have you tried holding the slide in one hand firmly while you slam the web of your other hand against the grip safety. This is an acceptable way to unjam a 1911. Obviously make sure you keep your finger away from the trigger and the pistol is pointed in a safe direction. This is almost certainly what your gunsmith will do. I had my Prodigy jam twice while I was at the range while trying Sig V Crown hollow points. That is exactly the technique I used to unjam it both times.

Here is one of the jams. Look familiar? You’ll notice that my slide was a couple of millimeters out of battery like yours
7F631DC2-E2FB-42B7-A69C-9C9265CD6F59.jpeg

Have you tried holding the slide in one hand firmly while you slam the web of your other hand against the grip safety. This is an acceptable way to unjam a 1911. Obviously make sure you keep your finger away from the trigger and the pistol is pointed in a safe direction. This is almost certainly what your gunsmith will do. I had my Prodigy jam twice while I was at the range while trying Sig V Crown hollow points. That is exactly the technique I used to unjam it both times.

Here is one of the jams. Look familiar? You’ll notice that my slide was a couple of millimeters out of battery like yours
View attachment 30771
I’ll give that a try- thank you. But mine jammed each of my two range days and yours jammed twice in one range day. Is this typical with 1911? It cost 3x as much as my Hellcat and I haven’t had a single issue with it.

I’ll give that a try- thank you. But mine jammed each of my two range days and yours jammed twice in one range day. Is this typical with 1911? It cost 3x as much as my Hellcat and I haven’t had a single issue with it.

+1 on what @SimonRL said. Exactly the technique to get it open, if you can.

And no, what y'all are experiencing is NOT typical ... of a QUALITY 1911/2011.

To be completely fair, a very high end 1911 might have a few jams when it's brand new, as it gets broken in. Those being due simply to very tight tolerances on surfaces that haven't "worn in" together yet. But, from the many reports and detailed analyses, it doesn't seem like what y'all are experiencing is super high quality, tight tolerances that just need a chance to wear in.

Mine jammed on JHPs which 1911s are known to be finicky with. I had 4 failure to feeds in the first 100 rds all from the same mag and since then it has been smooth sailing. Baby the Prodigy a bit, let it run in. I assume you’ve cleaned and lubed it. Cycle it and dry fire it while you are at home, let all it’s parts wear in.

Check out @xdman’a comments in this thread:

No offense, but no one’s beating down the door for a Hellcat. Good luck with your Prodigy.

Btw, what ammo have you been using?

+1 on what @SimonRL said. Exactly the technique to get it open, if you can.

And no, what y'all are experiencing is NOT typical ... of a QUALITY 1911/2011.

To be completely fair, a very high end 1911 might have a few jams when it's brand new, as it gets broken in. Those being due simply to very tight tolerances on surfaces that haven't "worn in" together yet. But, from the many reports and detailed analyses, it doesn't seem like what y'all are experiencing is super high quality, tight tolerances that just need a chance to wear in.
I’m not by any means an expert but to me the magazine seems to be the issue. The ammo holds firm side to side but is very loose front to back. This is especially apparent when unloading to replace ammo. Sometimes bullets almost jump out of the clip, some rest in place in the back and others protrude. 20 round clip on 1911 too ambitious?

Mine jammed on JHPs which 1911s are known to be finicky with. I had 4 failure to feeds in the first 100 rds all from the same mag and since then it has been smooth sailing. Baby the Prodigy a bit, let it run in. I assume you’ve cleaned and lubed it. Cycle it and dry fire it while you are at home, let all it’s parts wear in.

Check out @xdman’a comments in this thread:

No offense, but no one’s beating down the door for a Hellcat. Good luck with your Prodigy.

Btw, what ammo have you been using?
Remmington 124g FMJ brass

Back