testtest

Fixed Blade or Hatchet? If You Can Only Choose One

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
In a survival scenario, the hatchet, in its most basic sense, is a transitional tool: not quite an axe, not quite a fixed blade. But a well-made sheath knife is completely capable of taking on the tasks normally relegate to a hatchet. Heavy, full-tang blades on sheath knives can chop (though not as well as a hatchet). They can baton (as well or better than some hatchets). And they’re easier to carry (but harder to maintain) than most hatchets.

As with knives hatchets can be addictive....

Fixed Blade or Hatchet?

1653860341537.png

I like the Sld's idea of a quality machete. I have an old SOG with a serrated back edge that would probably be my go-to. If I'm playing strictly by the rules of the game, I'd choose a hatchet with a sharp edge. I always have my EDC folder in my pocket, so I would still use that for any delicate work that needed to be done.

I have a few machetes. I have a Woodsman's Pal which is pretty nice. I have some old US made machetes which are FAR superior to the new Fiskars machete my wife prefers. First thing I did to that Fiskars was take a belt sander to it because it was dull AF and it's too big for any of my stones.

This would be my choice if I was going to spend time out in a wilderness:
Not a big fan of most hawks as they are sold, the handle needs to be seriously reworked because they are too round to facilitate throwing and want to twist in the hand when actually used. And there is no poll on most which I want in a belt ax.

I have a custom forged Damascus steel tomahawk I put together years ago. (I bought and fitted the handle.)
It's fun but I wouldn't want to skin a rabbit with it. I throw it at trees.
I always carry a knife whether the tomahawk is with me or not.

These three are my most used chopper tools.

The top one is a copy of a French canoe ax I made. It's too heavy to carry all the time but is used when on horseback or canoe. Its great for camp use however, good for two hand use.

The second is a copy i made of a Fort Meiggs belt ax which I always carry on my shooting bag. It works great even if a bit smaller.

The last is a Mohawk belt ax I was given for a present. It's just about a perfect size for a carry belt ax.

And no matter what I carry I always have a belt knife.

20220530_140634.jpg

Last edited:
Back