testtest

Florida Constitutional Carry

No one that I have read ever mentioned “Mandating” training it’s just most folks would benefit a lot more than they realize. Simply having a firearm doesn’t mean you’re safe. Most of Tom Givens data is most folks had he “I can’t believe it’s happening to me” training can help with how to react as well as how to better employ and more important WHEN NOT TO SHOOT.

Unlike other constitutional rights when you do the 2nd a wrong (point a loaded weapon or shoot the wrong person) it goes really really bad for the person.
Getting some form of safety and legal training in regards to firearms ownership is definitely highly recommend if a person does not have experience with firearms to avoid any legal trouble. Though mandatory training for a constitutional right should not be law.

I bet they used guns to do the actual killing though…
So?

Subtract the speech from that equation and the mass killings don’t happen.

The point was; blanket preemptive doctrines against any individual right just because something, somebody MIGHT do with that right is the steep, slippery slope into tyranny, not to mention the fact it’s just flat immoral.

No one that I have read ever mentioned “Mandating” training it’s just most folks would benefit a lot more than they realize. Simply having a firearm doesn’t mean you’re safe. Most of Tom Givens data is most folks had he “I can’t believe it’s happening to me” training can help with how to react as well as how to better employ and more important WHEN NOT TO SHOOT.

Unlike other constitutional rights when you do the 2nd a wrong (point a loaded weapon or shoot the wrong person) it goes really really bad for the person.
I wasn’t attempting to imply that anyone here was advocating mandatory training, just expressing my view against it and why I felt that way.

BTW There is no such thing as “constitutional rights”, certain rights are explicitly PROTECTED by the U.S. Constitution but your rights don’t originate there nor does it explicitly spell out every right that you have.

The fact that exercising a given right can lead to bad outcomes doesn’t justify preemption of that right by authorities. Under the rule of law consequences are meted out post violation not pre. Doing it the other way around is tyranny which is not the rule of law but the rule of men.

Thanks to those of you who commented on my original post. More than 30 years ago the horse already left the barn on the question of whether the state could require proof of some training before issuing a license.

I closed my training business due to COVID and unavailability of ammo 2 years ago so I have no fiscal intetest, but a lot of trainers do. This topic is getting a lot of interest right now.

I expect the training requirement will remain for those who want the license for reciprocity purposes, since it it a requirement for reciprocity with many states. Your comments are interesting to me since constitutional carry is on Florida's horizon. It is a topic of discussion among us gun guys every time we get together. It will be interesting to see how the legislation shakes out.

Thanks to those of you who commented on my original post. More than 30 years ago the horse already left the barn on the question of whether the state could require proof of some training before issuing a license.

I closed my training business due to COVID and unavailability of ammo 2 years ago so I have no fiscal intetest, but a lot of trainers do. This topic is getting a lot of interest right now.

I expect the training requirement will remain for those who want the license for reciprocity purposes, since it it a requirement for reciprocity with many states. Your comments are interesting to me since constitutional carry is on Florida's horizon. It is a topic of discussion among us gun guys every time we get together. It will be interesting to see how the legislation shakes out.
Just out of curiosity, have you considered moving your training business online?

No when it come to firearms training I am old fashioned, hands on, look them in the eye, check for understanding, inform and coach. But I am enjoying retirement in my wood shop and after 50 years of it will leave it to the young Turks.
Can totally understand that! Glad to hear you’re enjoying what I’m sure is a hard earned retirement.😊

I was just curious if you had considered it since it would seem that someone with your knowledge and experience would be in high demand, even if only available via online training.

Can totally understand that! Glad to hear you’re enjoying what I’m sure is a hard earned retirement.😊

I was just curious if you had considered it since it would seem that someone with your knowledge and experience would be in high demand, even if only available via online training.
I loved doing the training and truly enjoyed seeing a student's lights come on. For 8 years most of the training courses were for armed professionals such as couriers, security officers, body guards, private investigators for their firearm licenses, with a few concealed weapons and intermediate courses interspersed throughout the year. I qualified private investigators at their annual state conference every year with their ammo. I was going through 21,000 rounds of 9mm a year. It was a natural follow on to 40+ years as an LEO. I was staying busy but when COVID and ammo shortages hit everybody stopped training. With the cost of licensing, continuing education, and liability insurance it just was not viable any more. So I closed the business, rented the office out, and started making furniture for family. I believe others had similar experiences. Now I train family and friends when they want it.

Back