testtest

FOR THOSE WHO SERVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't mind giving some information about when, where, with branch and any other details about your service. I haven't served, but almost joined the Marines after graduation, but decided I would probably get put somewhere else that the motor pool. I was wanting too get into mechanics. I enjoy hard work, so that wasn't a deterrent.

I didn't serve. Dad was adamant about that when I was growing up. He (Cdr.USN-Ret) spent four campaigns in Korea based on the carrier Essex. He shipped out as an Ensign in '51, I believe, and continued to serve into the late 60s/early 70s when he returned Stateside, and when I was born in '72 he transferred to the Reserve while remaining in government service at HUD (he was also a CPA), and later the National Gallery of Art.

The few stories I got out of him - he did NOT like talking about his time overseas, and I never pressed him - he apparently worked with Intel, shadowing SAS troops on surgical strikes on things like bridges and roadways and runways, to verify for the Navy that the missions were successful. I have his personal Colt .38 revolver, and his USN shoulder rig for it. The rig was dyed black by the SAS because "that brown thing is going to get us all killed". Somehow they didn't get upset about the ivory grips, though...or, he had those made once he finished those types of missions. Not sure.

Hearing a little about how much dad did not like being overseas, and did not like what he did/saw while there, made my respect for those who serve grow even stronger. He loved the Navy, don't get me wrong, and he had nice enough things to say about Korea as a place and as a people, but he was locked into protecting his only son from ever being exposed to those not-so-good things. He had one brother, who purchased and gave him the .38 I now have, who was (I believe) killed in action as an FBI agent and I think that, combined with my being an only child, only strengthened his resolve to keep me out. We didn't always get along, but I always had (and still do) great respect for my father, and when he said he wanted me to go to school instead of joining up...I did what Dad said.

For those who have served - thank you for your service, and the dedication that goes with it. Some of us civilians understand, and appreciate it!

I have a friend in New Mexico that would tell stories and 1 of them was when he got shot and had too put his intestines back in and hide until they passed. He joined so his brother wouldn't serve. His brother joined and was an ah pilot and got shot down and died. He would talk about some of his experiences, good and bad ones. Not sure on how much time he was there, I will have too ask him for more details.

23 years, 9 months, and 1 day in the United States Army. Thanks for asking.

Most of the veterans don't mind telling stories about their service, but the combat tours can still be a sensitive subject. I try to stay away from those stories as much as possible, so they don't open up old wounds. A lot of guys still carry around the scars from deployment.

23 years, 9 months, and 1 day in the United States Army. Thanks for asking.

Most of the veterans don't mind telling stories about their service, but the combat tours can still be a sensitive subject. I try to stay away from those stories as much as possible, so they don't open up old wounds. A lot of guys still carry around the scars from deployment.
What division and so forth as in artillery or just a grunt?

My father served in WW2 and my brother served during the Vietnam war. I will always be very proud of them for serving. I was married very young and chose a different path. I did begin the process and was in the MEPS station in Tampa when I made the decision. So, I was very close. I respect and thank all of those who served and are serving to keep my family safe. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

To all past and current members , who have or are serving now , my thanks go out to you. God bless you each and every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back