testtest

Forged or Investment Cast

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Nice article on the difference between forged and cast gun parts, good information and explanation of each process.

I get that forgings are stronger, but do we really need that extra strength in all parts? Have any tests been performed that have conclusively proven the need for forged parts? I have seen a lot of random comments stating that this or that part is inferior and must be replaced or avoided, but were they really true? I have a Ruger 1911 for example and I understand they have "investment cast" parts in them. Whaddaya say?

I get that forgings are stronger, but do we really need that extra strength in all parts? Have any tests been performed that have conclusively proven the need for forged parts? I have seen a lot of random comments stating that this or that part is inferior and must be replaced or avoided, but were they really true? I have a Ruger 1911 for example and I understand they have "investment cast" parts in them. Whaddaya say?
I would say most militaries and law enforcement prefer forged for long term wear & tear and abuse that us civilians may not put thru a firearm in a lifetime.

I’m personally good either way based on a case by case basis per firearm I need

I really have no trouble or issues with investment cast frames, or MIM internals as long it’s from a major gun manufacturer. No cast slides though for me, most of S&W revolvers have MIM parts, so do Springfield 1911’s, Kimber’s and Colt, now if you want a trigger job or just smooth up an action with MIM parts, you just have to be careful as not to go to far and go through the hardening on the parts.

Back