testtest

Forged vs. Cast Steel

Can you then comment on why Springfield continues to use cast receivers for the M1A? Don't get me wrong, i've had several cast SA receivers over the years, as well as other brands. I've never had any issues related to them. I also don't put that many rounds through my M1A. The trend now though seems to be towards forgings again for this part. What is the life expectancy of a cast M1A receiver vs. a forged one? What is the cost difference? In light of Springfield's reliance on forgings for 1911 components, which arguably are far less stressed then an M1A receiver, why the casting?

AJ

Can you then comment on why Springfield continues to use cast receivers for the M1A? Don't get me wrong, i've had several cast SA receivers over the years, as well as other brands. I've never had any issues related to them. I also don't put that many rounds through my M1A. The trend now though seems to be towards forgings again for this part. What is the life expectancy of a cast M1A receiver vs. a forged one? What is the cost difference? In light of Springfield's reliance on forgings for 1911 components, which arguably are far less stressed then an M1A receiver, why the casting?

AJ
hipowr, I agree with you on this one. What if S.A. offered a forged receiver as an option on the M1A?

The cost of all new M1A rifles would go way up if they switched to forged receivers.
Hello Blackfeather. Yes, you're no doubt right on the increased price on M1A's if all the receivers were forged. I have a Scout Squad and have had no problems with it, it's a fine shooter and I don't see it wearing out anytime soon. I had read somewhere that there are aftermarket suppliers that sell forged receivers for the M1A and was wondering if S.A. might consider offering their own for special ordered models, or just as an optional replacement for existing rifles. Just wondering.

AJ
If you want a forged receiver, James River Armory makes their BM59 and Fulton Armory has a few to choose from...

Interesting, however, the forged JRA BM59's requires M80 ammo and expressly forbids .308. The SA M1A is okay for the slightly (maybe) higher pressure .308....with a cast receiver. Go figure. Could be a head-space thing with those high-end rifles...idk

Hello Blackfeather. Yes, you're no doubt right on the increased price on M1A's if all the receivers were forged. I have a Scout Squad and have had no problems with it, it's a fine shooter and I don't see it wearing out anytime soon. I had read somewhere that there are aftermarket suppliers that sell forged receivers for the M1A and was wondering if S.A. might consider offering their own for special ordered models, or just as an optional replacement for existing rifles. Just wondering.
LRB has been a consistent source of forged receivers.

Browning switched to cast receivers with better steel for the Post-94 Mark III BHPs when they found out the forged receivers (used to that point) couldn't handle the 40 S&W stresses. They carried those improvements over to the 9mm versions.

S&W had a great take on this back in the day…
IMG_3661.jpeg

Back