testtest

frangible ammo??

what was the price of 9mm before all the shortage? I have never shot steel, and target ammo around here seems to be mainly fmj. But I really want to buy a dueling tree, so I am going to have to order frangible when the price comes down.
To answer your base ques:
YMMV... it kinda depends on where you live as to what the old prices were like. Unless you bought online (which I’d never done prior to the shortage)... you might call a couple LGSs to find out.

Well given that my wife is my shooting partner, we might start off at 10 yards. Then again I trained her and she took to it like a duck to water, so maybe not. She is extremely good at closer shots, but her eye sight is not so good at the longer ones. So I am sure she is going to want to move it to the 7-10 yard range and I am going to want it further out.
Either which way, I know someone who took a ricochet to the shoulder once, granted it was off a rock and not a piece of steel that moves, but why risk it. I think we have all heard that peerew sound and it is not a fun or good sound. Almost gives you the feeling like you just got away with something.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. Not really buying it before, I had no idea what was a good price.
The main reason driving the higher price (imho) is that you won’t find, for instance, “WWB Frangible”...usually, it’s higher end stuff, often a training analogue of LE duty ammo—hence the Ranger I mentioned; also wasn’t uncommon to see Speer Lawman frangible, or Federal “Black & Blue” contract loads.

Never shot steel before, but I watched this Hickok45 video (and stayed at a Holiday Inn last night :sneaky:), on shooting steel Safely. I for one, found it informative.

So I guess I worry to much. Cool, We will just keep them out 30 foot or more. Like I said a dueling tree has swinging targets so I figured it was safer. Plus the one I was looking at has angle for the upright just as the video talks about.
Thanks for posting the video.

So I guess I worry to much. Cool, We will just keep them out 30 foot or more. Like I said a dueling tree has swinging targets so I figured it was safer. Plus the one I was looking at has angle for the upright just as the video talks about.
Thanks for posting the video.
Hickok45 is enjoyable, worth watching and learning from, if not for anything more than learning how to safely enjoy yourself. Have seen many of his videos.

I only bought steel targets after the shortage started myself, so I didn't buy frangible before. But FMJ 9mm before the shortage was usually around $0.20/round, and on sale you could find it as low as $0.15/round.

I have 3/8" steel targets, and with 5.56, even frangible ammo leaves divots, and sometimes takes out small chunks of my targets. I prefer the bolt/spring method of hanging my targets, as that puts them at an angle, so the spall goes downwards and back.

I only bought steel targets after the shortage started myself, so I didn't buy frangible before. But FMJ 9mm before the shortage was usually around $0.20/round, and on sale you could find it as low as $0.15/round.

I have 3/8" steel targets, and with 5.56, even frangible ammo leaves divots, and sometimes takes out small chunks of my targets. I prefer the bolt/spring method of hanging my targets, as that puts them at an angle, so the spall goes downwards and back.
Yeah I bought a bunch of 9mm fmj before the shtf. I just want to get a dueling tree as I know that is the next step in working with my wife and her skills. So they will be movable steels.

Yeah I bought a bunch of 9mm fmj before the shtf. I just want to get a dueling tree as I know that is the next step in working with my wife and her skills. So they will be movable steels.

I work out regularly, and I'm in good shape. But I seriously underestimated the weight of steel targets. Hauling them out to the desert and setting them up is a workout! As is transporting them back home and storing them.

I work out regularly, and I'm in good shape. But I seriously underestimated the weight of steel targets. Hauling them out to the desert and setting them up is a workout! As is transporting them back home and storing them.
Hah, yah, not they aren't light! There are more silent lighter weight alternatives available though besides beverage containers and blow up inflatables. Hard to beat the sound of ringing gongs though! :)

These are available, just have to record own gong sounds for distance shooting effects?

Back