MPG or Guzzler

• MPG

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Guzzler

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about it! Do you buy a high priced engineering feat that gets 18+ mpg or do you save tons of cash and get 1 that's under 12 mpg. Save that extra 30k or more for fuel. How far can you go. I have a diesel dually that gets 18+ empty, but put a trailer on it and it goes too 7. I'm working on my older '81 454 3 speed automatic w/3.73 rear end. Mileage on it averaged 15 w/o a trailer, but with it got 10+ driving 85+ mph. Not many of you probably pull heavy trailers, but the question stands! What would you buy?

Do you want a puller? Or a commuter? My '01 Cummins Dodge (six speed stick, 265k miles) averages 20 on the highway, 16 towing a 10k car trailer. My 14 Grand Cherokee diesel averages 26 commuting and 31 highway. I don't tow with it...because I have a Cummins. My toy cars...I don't even track. Sometimes I glance at my turbo minivan (90 Voyager with a factory 2.5 turbo engine) and it's usually in the high teens, but it's so much fun to boot the throttle and fry the tires...in a VAN...that I can't resist.

I'm just a big child :p

Personally though, I'd rather put my money towards an efficient vehicle and help the auto industry, than spend more on fuel and feed the greedy oil industry.

That said...I'm in the process of pulling the 360 out of my 1972 Satellite wagon, and installing a Gen III 5.7 EFI Hemi. Possibly with a Procharger.

Again - big child.

I have a 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew (5.0 engine, 36gal tank) and I've averaged up to 23 gpm on a good day while on the open road (Interstate), and cruise control set at 70mph (the posted speed limit). In town running errands, and stop & go traffic, it can drop to 15-16 gpm.

The 2010 FX4 Super Crew (5.3, 36gal tank)) that I traded for the current (2018) truck, had worse gas mileage. The gas mileage is much better now in the '18 model, and I attribute some of that to the alumninum body of the new F150's. I think that shaved around 700lbs of weight from the truck, from what I've read.

Last edited:
1579712332983.jpeg

Or you can get this.........

I have a 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew (5.0 engine, 36gal tank) and I've averaged up to 23 gpm on a good day while on the open road (Interstate), and cruise control set at 70mph (the posted speed limit). In town running errands, and stop & go traffic, it can drop to 15-16 gpm.

The 2010 FX4 Super Crew (5.3, 36gal tank)) that I traded for the current (2018) truck, had worse gas mileage. The gas mileage is much better now in the '18 model, and I attribute some of that to the alumninum body of the new F150's. I think that shaved around 700lbs of weight from the truck, from what I've read.
There goes my 700# gun collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back