testtest

Geared To Defend: Keep Your Guns Stored Safely

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Nice article on keeping your guns safely stored at home, I can vouch for the Rapid Safe, got one now for almost 3 years, very fast to operate in case you need your gun.

Funny how these articles always seem to be advertisements for safe companies.

I'm not saying they aren't good ideas for some people, particularly those with small children in the house, but for other's they are a terrible idea. Growing up my dad had loaded guns around the house. When we were very little they were in places we couldn't get to them. By the time we could, he had already instilled the fear of touching them without his permission into us effectively. Never once did I even dream of playing with or otherwise handling any of his guns. My daughter never did either and I didn't have a decent safe until she was already out on her own.

I do have provisions for when other people's horrible kids come over for whatever reason. Any staged guns in the house are collected and put in a closet I have that has a key'ed lock on it. They would never find my safes and even if they did they obviously couldn't access them.

Where I live, I rent this townhouse, the management can do a surprise inspection if your home or not plus if any needed repairs are needed, they can come in also even if your not at home, so thats the main reason I keep my house gun in the Night Guard safe, other then that reason, I don't have any kids here.

Where I live, I rent this townhouse, the management can do a surprise inspection if your home or not plus if any needed repairs are needed, they can come in also even if your not at home, so thats the main reason I keep my house gun in the Night Guard safe, other then that reason, I don't have any kids here.
My entire life, renting apartments before I bought my first house, the very first thing I did was change the locks. Only once did a landlord ever say anything about it and when I asked him how he knew and why he was attempting to get into my apartment when I wasn't there, he didn't have anything else to say about it. No F'ing way I let anyone, let alone a landlord have a key to my place.

My entire life, renting apartments before I bought my first house, the very first thing I did was change the locks. Only once did a landlord ever say anything about it and when I asked him how he knew and why he was attempting to get into my apartment when I wasn't there, he didn't have anything else to say about it. No F'ing way I let anyone, let alone a landlord have a key to my place.
Can't change locks here, thats the way this place does it, they usually come when we are home.

Not here, you can’t.

I get the feeling you don't want to elaborate, which is fine. If you're happy, I'm happy brother.

I can't express to you adequately the depth of my enragement and the reaction that would be forthcoming if anyone ever came into my home unannounced while I wasn't there. There's one place on the planet I expect, no demand, that I alone am the arbitrator of who or what enters. But that's just me.

Not here, you can’t. There are 55 units here, single bedroom, 2 bedroom and the townhouse’s. The management owns more then just this facility, plus it’s in our lease, no modifications allowed unless management does this.
Anni , I am under the same constraints . I live in Gov't housing now and everyone here had to sign the lease agreement with such wording.

In fact when I moved in everyone was convinced that no one could have a firearm on the property. I started showing those same people where in my lease agreement it stated , " No one shall unlawfully own or keep a firearm on housing property. Since I am lawful , I will keep my firearms at the present location. ;)
:)

Anni , I am under the same constraints . I live in Gov't housing now and everyone here had to sign the lease agreement with such wording.

In fact when I moved in everyone was convinced that no one could have a firearm on the property. I started showing those same people where in my lease agreement it stated , " No one shall unlawfully own or keep a firearm on housing property. Since I am lawful , I will keep my firearms at the present location. ;)
:)
Yep, same thing basically, I keep my other stuff in a regular safe, I just keep my house gun in the night guard for quick access, actually they stress here that they (management) will not infringe and peoples 2nd amendment rights. Unheard of especially in todays climate....so kudos to them for that.

I get the feeling you don't want to elaborate, which is fine. If you're happy, I'm happy brother.

I can't express to you adequately the depth of my enragement and the reaction that would be forthcoming if anyone ever came into my home unannounced while I wasn't there. There's one place on the planet I expect, no demand, that I alone am the arbitrator of who or what enters. But that's just me.
And Bob, I totally understand where your coming from.

Funny how these articles always seem to be advertisements for safe companies.

I'm not saying they aren't good ideas for some people, particularly those with small children in the house, but for other's they are a terrible idea. Growing up my dad had loaded guns around the house. When we were very little they were in places we couldn't get to them. By the time we could, he had already instilled the fear of touching them without his permission into us effectively. Never once did I even dream of playing with or otherwise handling any of his guns. My daughter never did either and I didn't have a decent safe until she was already out on her own.

I do have provisions for when other people's horrible kids come over for whatever reason. Any staged guns in the house are collected and put in a closet I have that has a key'ed lock on it. They would never find my safes and even if they did they obviously couldn't access them.
Yep, reads like an ad to me as well. Funny, but doesn't each of these require a battery of some sort? They NEVER fail at an inopportune time. The state has no business mandating how things should be done in your residence, nor does a landlord.

Yep, reads like an ad to me as well. Funny, but doesn't each of these require a battery of some sort? They NEVER fail at an inopportune time. The state has no business mandating how things should be done in your residence, nor does a landlord.
Well, for one the Night Guard uses electric and the batteries are just for backup, and a landlord/management can states things in your apartment/house if it’s in the lease, if you don’t agree with the lease, then you don’t rent there.

Well, for one the Night Guard uses electric and the batteries are just for backup, and a landlord/management can states things in your apartment/house if it’s in the lease, if you don’t agree with the lease, then you don’t rent there.
Backup batteries tend to be neglected by a lot of folks. I would hope that people wouldn't take them for granted.

Electronic locks can and do fail, I have a cabinet that became permanently secured when the lock malfunctioned. The manufacturer said that should the battery fail, the mechanism would spring open. Not so. I personally don't want to trust my life, or the lives of loved ones to a system that depends on electronics made in China and likely purchased solely on cost per unit.

Regarding a lease, you are correct. I can't justify giving someone I don't know or necessarily trust control over my residence.

Backup batteries tend to be neglected by a lot of folks. I would hope that people wouldn't take them for granted.

Electronic locks can and do fail, I have a cabinet that became permanently secured when the lock malfunctioned. The manufacturer said that should the battery fail, the mechanism would spring open. Not so. I personally don't want to trust my life, or the lives of loved ones to a system that depends on electronics made in China and likely purchased solely on cost per unit.

Regarding a lease, you are correct. I can't justify giving someone I don't know or necessarily trust control over my residence.
When the E locks on my safes fail due to depleted batteries it requires a manual key to open. Or you can change the battery and open it. It doesn't spring open that's for sure.

When the E locks on my safes fail due to depleted batteries it requires a manual key to open. Or you can change the battery and open it. It doesn't spring open that's for sure.
On my Liberty safe, it has the electronic lock with a 9 volt battery, I change it once a year when I do the smoke detectors, that way I knows its been changed, and before anyone says that if an EMP event happens, my safe is useless, not so with my Liberty, its lock is EMP proof.

SECURITY
  • UL listed safe body
  • UL listed SecuRam Prologic electronic lock
  • EMP proof electronic lock
  • Three hardened steel plates to protect the lock from drill attacks
  • Relockers lock the safe down in the event of attempted brute force entry
  • Liberty’s exclusive, ultra-strong locking bars protect against pry attacks
  • Slip-clutch mechanism protects against forced entry
  • California DOJ-approved firearm safety device

On my Liberty safe, it has the electronic lock with a 9 volt battery, I change it once a year when I do the smoke detectors, that way I knows its been changed, and before anyone says that if an EMP event happens, my safe is useless, not so with my Liberty, its lock is EMP proof.

SECURITY
  • UL listed safe body
  • UL listed SecuRam Prologic electronic lock
  • EMP proof electronic lock
  • Three hardened steel plates to protect the lock from drill attacks
  • Relockers lock the safe down in the event of attempted brute force entry
  • Liberty’s exclusive, ultra-strong locking bars protect against pry attacks
  • Slip-clutch mechanism protects against forced entry
  • California DOJ-approved firearm safety device
Mine aren't EMP proof but they do have back up key locks under the E pad.

I got the same nightstand type safe with fingerprint reader and keypad entry, plus backup key, plus once the battery starts to go, the big keypads start flashing red, which is helpful. But it’s interesting, when I was going through the training to get my carry permit here in Arizona, which is, of course, pretty easy, I found out that there are some things that work in your favor if you have to end a threat in your home with a firearm: Having a carry permit, and a safe in your home. We do have castle doctrine here and some of the best Second Amendment laws but with that is a lot of Maverick abuse of that privilege, so having some evidence of being a responsible owner works in your favor. I’m sure this isn’t the only state with that mindset, but since it’s pretty much understood, I had no problem getting a table top safe. Part of my practice drill is getting that thing open ASAP.

This isn’t earth shattering info, but I haven’t posted in a while and I kind of miss the forum. 😀

Back