testtest

[Guide] First Time at the Shooting Range

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good read especially for the new shooters, first time at the shooting range. Good information and tips on what and how you should do at the range for your first time there.

Thanks for posting that. I'm (still) new to indoor shooting ranges (my preferred place to shoot), so...

May I reload at my stall, or do I need to stand back and reload at the table/bench behind it then return to my shooting stall? (Does that differ from place to place, or is there a general rule for that?)

Is there a courtesy where I should wait for the shooter to my right/left to finish shooting their magazine before I shoot, or..? (The same goes with sweeping up my brass?)

very good article, but lacking at least one/two important parts..

spent shell casings going down your shirt, or behind your safety glasses.

very important to button up your shirts to the very top button, as it is very important to have safety glasses that wrap around your eyes.

but even though i do have a very fine pair of safety glasses, i have had shell casings go up under my ball cap's bill, bounce off that, and get in between my face and the glasses.

another important item missed or not addressed, is that when any of this happens?

KEEP YOUR GUN POINTED DOWN RANGE, and PUT IT DOWN.

i have seen horrible videos of first timers going down in pain from the hot brass, and blowing a round into thier face....

like this one..

and the ONE THING that REALLY TICKS ME OFF..??

is that when some schmuck takes his girlfriend to a range, and hot brass goes into her boobs, he laughs on that video..

what a moron to treat his girl like that.....i cannot stand that sort of nonsense towards someone in pain, who most likely depended on HELP from the guy, not laughing at her pain.

Thanks for posting that. I'm (still) new to indoor shooting ranges (my preferred place to shoot), so...

May I reload at my stall, or do I need to stand back and reload at the table/bench behind it then return to my shooting stall? (Does that differ from place to place, or is there a general rule for that?)

Is there a courtesy where I should wait for the shooter to my right/left to finish shooting their magazine before I shoot, or..? (The same goes with sweeping up my brass?)
my range and club, you load at the firing line, never away from it. at my ranges, ALL guns are to be on the firing line, not on any bench/table away from it.

at my ranges, all guns must NEVER be in your hand with you walking around the place

The indoor range I go to you do everything with guns pointing down range and load right in your stall area and no you don’t have to wait for the person on the left or right of you maybe different rules at the range you are at . If you are not sure ask the range master

Outdoor ranges or in some farmer's meadow are my preferred shooting places. Indoor ranges are crowded, noisy and you don't know what psycho might be shooting there that day. Brass bouncing off the partitions, dim lighting and severe range officers all detract from the fun (I'd rather brave the cold.)

Be very careful to keep the muzzle pointed down range and the gun clear and its action open when you are not shooting for any reason. Any question at all raise your hand and an employee will be right there to help.
Have fun- if you can!
;)

very good article, but lacking at least one/two important parts..

spent shell casings going down your shirt, or behind your safety glasses.

very important to button up your shirts to the very top button, as it is very important to have safety glasses that wrap around your eyes.

but even though i do have a very fine pair of safety glasses, i have had shell casings go up under my ball cap's bill, bounce off that, and get in between my face and the glasses.

another important item missed or not addressed, is that when any of this happens?

KEEP YOUR GUN POINTED DOWN RANGE, and PUT IT DOWN.

i have seen horrible videos of first timers going down in pain from the hot brass, and blowing a round into thier face....

like this one..

and the ONE THING that REALLY TICKS ME OFF..??

is that when some schmuck takes his girlfriend to a range, and hot brass goes into her boobs, he laughs on that video..

what a moron to treat his girl like that.....i cannot stand that sort of nonsense towards someone in pain, who most likely depended on HELP from the guy, not laughing at her pain.
Scary video and even scarier the Sheriff would call the handgun an automatic not a semi automatic.

Back