testtest

H&K range day

Belt Fed

Hellcat
These were shot from my usual 4 feet with a pistol rest. The 9's were shot using that blue bullet reloads i posted somewhere in another thread. they have all shot good until today when one split the case all the way down. didn't shoot as many as i wanted but i didn't take any other ammo and i wasn't blowin up a gun. welp, no more reloads for me. Once i got this dot in it was dead on. only took four rounds.

20240330_101055.jpg

20240330_103024.jpg

These were shot from my usual 4 feet with a pistol rest. The 9's were shot using that blue bullet reloads i posted somewhere in another thread. they have all shot good until today when one split the case all the way down. didn't shoot as many as i wanted but i didn't take any other ammo and i wasn't blowin up a gun. welp, no more reloads for me. Once i got this dot in it was dead on. only took four rounds.

20240330_101055.jpg

20240330_103024.jpg
Next was the H&K 45, by the time i was finished here the wind was howling and blowing sticks and crap all on my head. lol but at 4 feet it was ok

20240330_104628.jpg

20240330_105528.jpg
IMG_2626.jpeg

Way, way back in the day of a lot of competition shooting, I've re-used some .357mag cases up to 8+ times. These cases were all shot from the same gun all 8+ times, a Thompson Contender with a tight chamber. Cases fired from different guns/chambers will likely not have that capability. I always kept good track of my reloads and kept the same batch of 50 cases together for each reload. At the first sign of any issue with even one of that batch/group, the entire group was done away with.

I wouldn't necessarily think that just any/all cases would be good and/or safe for that many reloads and would not recommend anyone trying to get that many. There are a lot of variables to how many times a case can/should be reloaded and that is usually determined by close visual inspection and good record keeping of the previous number of reloadings and loaded data. It would make sense that cases loaded to very light loads would probably hold up to more reloadings than cases loaded to the max. Quality of cases has a major bearing on it as well.

On average, over many years of reloading, I'd just say one should be able to count on 4-5 reloads generally. That's not a recommendation to anyone, simply a WAG. Lot's of experience, lot's of care, and lot's of good record keeping will help extend the life of most cases. I'll stress the record keeping of your reloading is as/more important than anything else.

Hi,

Oh yeah, that makes sense. What's the normal lifespan? 3 or 4 or 5 reloads? Forgive my nooby questions. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
There are a couple issues especially with guns like Hkock and HK with Polygonal type riffling. You are only suppose to use jacketed bullets or you WILL get lead build ups. The newer moly or poly coated depending on manufacturer are suppose to be good to go in Polygonal riffling but do your research in your brands

On other rounds as far as straight wall handgun rounds it’s depends on pressure and if you have to resize anything if a semi auto beats up your brass to the chamber causing a bulge when you fire it.

Example my 38 357 (even though high pressure) and 45 acp I have reloaded a bunch of times.

Disclaimer I reload a few thousand a year a lot more than a lot of folks but not tens of thousands some claim they do so YMMV)

When USPSA had only 2 divisions and 40 was the best round (for major in limited) on a Glock 35 I had to resize my 40 brass because of the Glock buldge where I resized the case every time. I limited my use of those case to 3 times then trashed them. That is why most that did that and myself never had any issues with 40 and Glock (and we changed our recoil springs)

40 is high enough pressure and every pic on the internet of a 40 Glock KB is ruptured case not firing out of battery as some claim. People over charge Ir not likely are cheap and try and get that 5 or 6th reload out of stresses brass.

On the other hand I have some 38 special brass and 45 acp and while I have some newer brass I have some around that I have reloaded since the late 1980’s and early 1990’s that show no signs of pressure issues. I

Last edited:
Back