testtest

H4895 vs IMR 4895 in a M1A

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
Basically what the title says. What's your take on IMG vs Hodgdon's 4895? Velocity and possibly precision-wise. I can find H4895 much easier than IMR.

Basically the Hodgdon H-4895 is only slightly faster than the IMR 4895. But then again, Hodgdon has always been slightly hotter/faster than comparable IMR stuff since way back when the Hodgdon stuff was typically military surplus powder.

Generally speaking there won't be a great deal of difference in your results as long as you compensate for the slightly higher pressures and faster burn rate of the Hodgdon stuff.

Look closely at your loading data, trust it, and you'll be fine. You'll see that the Hodgdon stuff will require a little bit lighter charge to obtain the same velocity without any excessive pressures.(y)(y)(y)

Yessir, when referring to "hotter/faster" we're referring to the burn rate of the powder, not the resulting velocities of any given load. The loading data will provide that info. (y)(y)(y):)

Yessir, when referring to "hotter/faster" we're referring to the burn rate of the powder, not the resulting velocities of any given load. The loading data will provide that info. (y)(y)(y):)
I realize that, but just giving weight options when using each and not knowing what bullets/mfg are being used. I don't have a m1a, but would love to have 1! I have very few hogdgon and imr powders with the same numbers.

IMR 4895 was the old standard powder for 30-06 in the Garand. It was easy on the much more fragile op-rod. Worked great in the 1917 Eddystone as well.

I’m new to M1A. Been loading for my Ruger 308 scout. Been very happy with Varget. Till now my bench was dedicated to the Ruger. Now I have a set of dies that will be exclusive the M1A Scout Squad. I also have two powder measures, one for Varget and other for H4895.
The fun continues
A29DBF10-D8C0-4B89-8B9E-F1B1289F9CF0.jpeg

I’m new to M1A. Been loading for my Ruger 308 scout. Been very happy with Varget. Till now my bench was dedicated to the Ruger. Now I have a set of dies that will be exclusive the M1A Scout Squad. I also have two powder measures, one for Varget and other for H4895.
The fun continues View attachment 14066
Hopefully your basement is dry and static free?

Back