testtest

Help me identify this

BTW awesome handgun! Making the rear site go down makes the front of the barrel go up and vise versa. Shots low means lower rear site. That should help. My 1st and only revolver was a 629 8.375" 44mag. I sure miss it!:(
Sorry, but I don't think that's right. If you sight the gun on target, then independently lower the rear sight, you will have to tip the barrel down to bring the front sight back into sight alignment. So you will hit lower than before, right? I saw that Rangerman backs me up. Just making sure I know what I think I know, especially when I'm trying to help someone else. :unsure:

Ok, let Benny rephrase that, standard production S&W revolvers don’t have a vent rib, I don’t know about the performance center versions, I can’t afford those💵💵…..🤪🤪😝😝😆😆😀
Hi,

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, this is the PC model 686.

1646272475964.png

From: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-686?sku=11760

But the OP look like her Wichita was added later to a non-PC model.

See? I learn something new here every day. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Sorry, but I don't think that's right. If you sight the gun on target, then independently lower the rear sight, you will have to tip the barrel down to bring the front sight back into sight alignment. So you will hit lower than before, right? I saw that Rangerman backs me up. Just making sure I know what I think I know, especially when I'm trying to help someone else. :unsure:
Rear sight gets moved the direction you want the bullet to go. If you are shooting low, you raise the rear sight.

Any tips on where I can get a belt mount hip holster that it will fit in? None of my local retailers carry anything that will fit it. I don’t really want a leather one I prefer the ones made out a black fabric with cushioning.
Outside of a custom holster, you may have to find a universal holster in the style you like that fits it. Which probably means trying a bunch of Uncle Mike's or something. Lots of trips to gun stores. Which is kind of a win-win. :)

Any tips on where I can get a belt mount hip holster that it will fit in? None of my local retailers carry anything that will fit it. I don’t really want a leather one I prefer the ones made out a black fabric with cushioning.
Believe or not I would try Amazon, search (revolver holsters)
They have a large selection of what your looking for.

Seeing the revolver itself is customized greatly in its shape and size normal OFF THE SHELF holsters for ccw or hunting carry for "normal" OFF THE SHELF revolvers are unlikely to fit. At least by it's brand and model , 686. Now you might have some luck looking for holsters that are for larger revolvers which will probably require you to try the handgun in the candidate. Which requires an understanding Gun shop with prior permission, important to have before having a weapon out in the store, or buying a lot of trial and error fits as Bob mentioned.

Perhaps a holster for something like a Taurus raging bull 44 magnum or Colt Anaconda 44 magnum might approximate the size. A bit of tape measure work might cut down on trial and error.

Or you could look for competition driven holsters which is what the revolver is customized for such as the Speed Beez holster with an open rib front to accommodate that large rib.

Lastly would be custom makers. Look for those who specialize in rigs for competition.

Last edited:
Another idea, unless you want it for the advantages of the heavy rib as it was intended for shooting games. You might have your best success frequenting competition groups, getting known and selling what you have at a fair price then buying a stock revolver, Smith 686? This would allow for your greatest flexibility in all things shooting.

The biggest problem to finding a ready made holster might be the large protective wings on the front sight which will obviously increase the width of the holster well beyond the already larger barrel width.

Last edited:
Seeing the revolver itself is customized greatly in its shape and size normal OFF THE SHELF holsters for ccw or hunting carry for "normal" OFF THE SHELF revolvers are unlikely to fit. At least by it's brand and model , 686. Now you might have some luck looking for holsters that are for larger revolvers which will probably require you to try the handgun in the candidate. Which requires an understanding Gun shop with prior permission, important to have before having a weapon out in the store, or buying a lot of trial and error fits as Bob mentioned.

Perhaps a holster for something like a Taurus raging bull 44 magnum or Colt Anaconda 44 magnum might approximate the size. A bit of tape measure work might cut down on trial and error.

Or you could look for competition driven holsters which is what the revolver is customized for such as the Speed Beez holster with an open rib front to accommodate that large rib.

Lastly would be custom makers. Look for those who specialize in rigs for competition.
I wasn't suggesting buying a bunch of holsters. I was suggesting going to a bunch of gun stores and TRYING a bunch of holsters. Of course with permission from the owner/employees. Good catch.

Back