testtest

Holosun 507Comp Red Dot Review

I haven't found a Holosun yet that wasn't worth every penny. I considered this one for my VP9, as well as the SCS, but in the end I have suppressor height sights so I went with a 507C X2 GR.

Two range sessions with it so far and I reckon I've been converted. Soooo much faster.

I haven't found a Holosun yet that wasn't worth every penny. I considered this one for my VP9, as well as the SCS, but in the end I have suppressor height sights so I went with a 507C X2 GR.

Two range sessions with it so far and I reckon I've been converted. Soooo much faster.
Likewise! Getting an EPS for my Mossberg 940. The 507Comp looks pretty darn good, the window seems to be on par with the Sig Romeo1Pro, the "blocky" look fits the Echelon squarish slide very well.

Gotta laugh at the over-the-top comment on the Echelon that "has been making some huge waves in the polymer striker-fired arena" Do tell :D

Just got the EPS Carry today, what a nice little piece! It fits right on the Mossberg 940, got a chuckle at the Holosun doc recommending torquing the screws at 15 in/lb (not kidding) even though they offer two different screw sizes and torque units are in in.lb :LOL:

Anyway, fits the 940 right on and looks cool as heck (which is half of the battle in our tacticool world):

PXL_20230929_201413342.jpg

Just got the EPS Carry today, what a nice little piece! It fits right on the Mossberg 940, got a chuckle at the Holosun doc recommending torquing the screws at 15 in/lb (not kidding) even though they offer two different screw sizes and torque units are in in.lb :LOL:

Anyway, fits the 940 right on and looks cool as heck (which is half of the battle in our tacticool world):

View attachment 44357
What did you torque them down to ?

I like the 512c on my 1301 and TS-12. This looks similar except this is an open emitter no ?

They replaced the 512 with the AES ( which I don't care for), but you can still get a 512T, which is exactly like a 512C except the housing is titanium instead of aluminum. It's also about $650 compared to the $300-ish I paid for the last 512C.

What did you torque them down to ?

I like the 512c on my 1301 and TS-12. This looks similar except this is an open emitter no ?

They replaced the 512 with the AES ( which I don't care for), but you can still get a 512T, which is exactly like a 512C except the housing is titanium instead of aluminum. It's also about $650 compared to the $300-ish I paid for the last 512C.
I was too excited to start putting numbers down on a notepad... I'll do the proper calcs over the weekend, but for now I tightened by hand until it felt right, then set the torque wrench at 15 in.lb and I was spot on... I'll take it to the range on Sunday to see if it's enough.

I think the 512C is about the same you're right, but pic rail... The one I have is the Carry, it's probably a smaller window too, the bigger window is the EPS. I chose the Carry just in case I don't like it on the shotgun and decide to put it on a handgun as it's got the co-witnessing notch the EPS doesn't have...

There was even one I saw with a yellow reticle, that was tempting... Their line is getting a little confusing, they've tried to do too much on their website with pull down and such, can't figure out half of the models anymore...

I was too excited to start putting numbers down on a notepad... I'll do the proper calcs over the weekend, but for now I tightened by hand until it felt right, then set the torque wrench at 15 in.lb and I was spot on... I'll take it to the range on Sunday to see if it's enough.

I think the 512C is about the same you're right, but pic rail... The one I have is the Carry, it's probably a smaller window too, the bigger window is the EPS. I chose the Carry just in case I don't like it on the shotgun and decide to put it on a handgun as it's got the co-witnessing notch the EPS doesn't have...

There was even one I saw with a yellow reticle, that was tempting... Their line is getting a little confusing, they've tried to do too much on their website with pull down and such, can't figure out half of the models anymore...
It is definitely getting confusing.

Until the 507C GR I just put on my VP9 all of mine were red dots. I really like the green. I don't find it faster or less or more distracting or anything so I can't say "It's better", but it is nice and I like it.

Also for what it's worth I have those 512s as well as some Romeo 5s on a bunch of 12 gauge shotguns, torqued, if memory serves, to 18-20 in. lbs ( Whatever Holosun specs were) and they have all stayed put over thousands of rounds of 00B and Truball 1600 FPS rifled slugs. No LocTite.

I think they put LocTite on the screws from the factory now so those torque specs probably take that into consideration. I wanna say the 507c was torqued at 12 in. lbs. 400 rounds so far and all is good.

Last edited:
It is definitely getting confusing.

Until the 507C GR I just put on my VP9 all of mine were red dots. I really like the green. I don't find it faster or less or more distracting or anything so I can't say "It's better", but it is nice and I like it.

Also for what it's worth I have those 512s as well as some Romeo 5s on a bunch of 12 gauge shotguns, torqued, if memory serves, to 18-20 in. lbs ( Whatever Holosun specs were) and they have all stayed put over thousands of rounds of 00B and Truball 1600 FPS rifled slugs. No LocTite.

I think they put LocTite on the screws from the factory now so those torque specs probably take that into consideration. I wanna say the 507c was torqued at 12 in. lbs. 400 rounds so far and all is good.
Holosun 507C is 15lbs torque.

Holosun 507C is 15lbs torque.
You must be right because that's what I set them at. Although the Wheeler Fat Wrench can't really do the 17.7 the plate requires. A guess at around 18 will have to be close enough. I can tell you it seemed like those plate screws bottomed out at 18 though

You must be right because that's what I set them at. Although the Wheeler Fat Wrench can't really do the 17.7 the plate requires. A guess at around 18 will have to be close enough. I can tell you it seemed like those plate screws bottomed out at 18 though
Some of these torque wrenches are +/-20% or worse, so even if you push it a little, it won't be dramatic. Typical torque values put your screws at around 65% of yield, so a 10%-15% increase won't put you in trouble. Only time I broke a bolt torquing was a scope mount bolt: I wanted 30 in.lb and put 80 in.lb and the bolt went "pop", probably at 50 in.lb and it was so easy to crank that much I never had a clue it was going to be a failure... Nobody's fault but mine, never do semi-precision stuff without reading glasses :D

Only issue with all the calcs is the actual material of these screws, some of these cheap 18-8 screws are not forged and the metal is just shite then they go much earlier than predicted...

Some of these torque wrenches are +/-20% or worse, so even if you push it a little, it won't be dramatic. Typical torque values put your screws at around 65% of yield, so a 10%-15% increase won't put you in trouble. Only time I broke a bolt torquing was a scope mount bolt: I wanted 30 in.lb and put 80 in.lb and the bolt went "pop", probably at 50 in.lb and it was so easy to crank that much I never had a clue it was going to be a failure... Nobody's fault but mine, never do semi-precision stuff without reading glasses :D

Only issue with all the calcs is the actual material of these screws, some of these cheap 18-8 screws are not forged and the metal is just shite then they go much earlier than predicted...
Yeah, no way those little things are 100% accurate. A few months ago I replaced all the front suspension parts on my Dodge Ram. I was tightening the upper ball joint using the old German Gutenthight method and cracked the spindle. I used the torque wrench on everything after that. Turns out the torque spec was 80 and I went somewhere north of 200 when it popped.

Just came back from the range, and this little Holosun EPC Carry is just perfect for the Mossberg! 15 in.lb seems to stay in place no problem, target was destroyed: the center was completely gone in 4 shots and head shot was dead center at 20 yards, friggin' brutal, love it :D Ammo was Federal Premium Vital-Shok Low-Recoil, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 1 oz. TruBall Rifled Slug, little smelly but shot just right. Too bad we can't do buck shots at the range, I've got some FIOCCHI I'd like to test out...

PXL_20230929_201306567.jpg

Just came back from the range, and this little Holosun EPC Carry is just perfect for the Mossberg! 15 in.lb seems to stay in place no problem, target was destroyed: the center was completely gone in 4 shots and head shot was dead center at 20 yards, friggin' brutal, love it :D Ammo was Federal Premium Vital-Shok Low-Recoil, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 1 oz. TruBall Rifled Slug, little smelly but shot just right. Too bad we can't do buck shots at the range, I've got some FIOCCHI I'd like to test out...

View attachment 44466
The 1600 FPS Truball slugs are my go to. Federal makes the best shotgun ammo IMO. 8 or 9 pellet Flite Control or Force X 2 for defensive 00B, whatever #1, #4 or 00B is on sale for the range. For zero'ing I use the Truball. I have some Fiocchi low recoil. I didn't care for it much. Ran fine in the autos, but it wasn't the best pattern wise.

Back