testtest

Holster for XDM 5.25" 45ACP with suppressor height front sight?

I have an 5.25" Precision in 45acp (that I also have a 460 Rowland conversion for). I put a Vortex Venom on and my only complaint is the time it takes to find the dot. I'm thinking if I put a taller (almost suppressor height) front sight on I'd be able to co-witness with the Venom rear sights, making it easier to find the dot. Only problem is finding a holster where that tall of a front sight will fit! Since I'm left eye/right hand, getting old, and can't for the life of me shoot iron sights with both eyes open, I love being able to do so with with the Venom. I found a company that makes one for the 9/40 but they have no plans on making one for the 45. Any one know where I could get one?

So far, the easiest way to find the dot is to tip the muzzle up so I can see the front sight, then lower the muzzle until I see the dot. I’m thinking if the front sight is taller I could find the dot quicker.

For hunting and accuracy, it’s definitely worth taking an extra 1-2 seconds, but after the first Action Pistol League with it I took the Venom back off and am going to see how it affects my accuracy and speed. I shot a perfect stage on paper, and the other 2 stages only -1, but I was slower than everyone! I’m thinking with a taller front sight I’ll be able to acquire the target quicker and not be last!

I have an 5.25" Precision in 45acp (that I also have a 460 Rowland conversion for). I put a Vortex Venom on and my only complaint is the time it takes to find the dot. I'm thinking if I put a taller (almost suppressor height) front sight on I'd be able to co-witness with the Venom rear sights, making it easier to find the dot. Only problem is finding a holster where that tall of a front sight will fit! Since I'm left eye/right hand, getting old, and can't for the life of me shoot iron sights with both eyes open, I love being able to do so with with the Venom. I found a company that makes one for the 9/40 but they have no plans on making one for the 45. Any one know where I could get one?

You may need a new holster too? But, maybe not?
On adjusting what's called the "sight channel" - the grooved part of where the sights slide through holsters upper edge, the sight channel can usually be adjusted by an experienced holster manufacturer or another person experienced in holster modifications. It can be done or adjusted with leather and Kydex usually by adding a dowel or another instrument to stretch the material inside the sight channel.

How? One method for leather and use at own risk, works well for me though. - After safely unloading the handgun.
On leather holsters for a typical example: Dampen the leather holster with water, place *correct size needed dowel for difference in sight channel needed, (*Height, width and length) tape down the fitted dowel with *painters tape (*So as not to mark up guns finish) on barrel or slide between the front and rear sights, place gun into plastic bag and then slide gun with bag around it firmly into holster. Let holster set until dry in room temperature. Can take a few days to dry depending on circumstances, sunny days help. I dampen the whole holster for any possible cosmetic imperfections to blend in better and for some possible helpful stretch in other areas. IE: Surprisingly, leather is very soft and pliable when dampened enough. - Technique may sound more difficult than it is.

Note: Reworking a holster may void some existing manufacturers warranty's. Having them do any modifications beforehand may be the best option.

Unfortunately I'd already taken the Venom off before I thought about measuring to see how tall of a front sight I'd need, to be able to co-witness, however, it appears that I'd need to get a front sight that's .475"-.510" tall. Both the holsters I own are Kydex, and I'm not sure how to stretch the sight channel. With that tall of a front sight it appears I'd need to buy an OWB holster for suppressor height sights but I'm having trouble finding one. I contacted Dara holsters, as they make one for the 9/40 but don't plan on making one for the 45.

Unfortunately I'd already taken the Venom off before I thought about measuring to see how tall of a front sight I'd need, to be able to co-witness, however, it appears that I'd need to get a front sight that's .475"-.510" tall. Both the holsters I own are Kydex, and I'm not sure how to stretch the sight channel. With that tall of a front sight it appears I'd need to buy an OWB holster for suppressor height sights but I'm having trouble finding one. I contacted Dara holsters, as they make one for the 9/40 but don't plan on making one for the 45.
I don't do or wear Kydex, only leather. I know some of the techniques of Kydex, but I don't personally use them. Leather's just a personal preference is all. You may end up having a custom holster made? Fortunately, there are many good holster companies out there that will also do custom work.

This company has a good reputation, haven't personally used them, but they may help you out? They are based in Europe, but are known for very good quality work at fair prices and good turn around times in shipping to the US.

This company has a good reputation, haven't personally used them, but they may help you out? They are based in Europe, but are known for very good quality work at fair prices and good turn around times in shipping to the US.

I must not have been looking right last time because tonight I was able to find a couple options and ended up ordering one on sale from Midway, a Comp-Tac International. Says it will take up to .5" front sight and work with my Venom. Guess I need to call my old work partner and see if he's still gunsmithing and can recommend a front sight and put it on for me (and help me figure out how tall of one to get). Thanks!!!

I must not have been looking right last time because tonight I was able to find a couple options and ended up ordering one on sale from Midway, a Comp-Tac International. Says it will take up to .5" front sight and work with my Venom. Guess I need to call my old work partner and see if he's still gunsmithing and can recommend a front sight and put it on for me (and help me figure out how tall of one to get). Thanks!!!
You're welcome and that's cool! Get 'er done!

Back