testtest

Home Defense Guns: How To Choose The Right One

I’ve been giving hard consideration to the Saint Victor SBR or Saint Edge SBR as a home defense option. I’m wondering if both of these require the additional $200 ATF tax stamp due to the “SBR” status? Barrel length seems to indicate yes, but overall length might move it to no.

I’ve been giving hard consideration to the Saint Victor SBR or Saint Edge SBR as a home defense option. I’m wondering if both of these require the additional $200 ATF tax stamp due to the “SBR” status? Barrel length seems to indicate yes, but overall length might move it to no.
If it’s got a barrel less than 16” and a buttstock, it’s a SBR and requires a stamp, OAL is immaterial.

Thanks for posting Anni,
Article stated good common basics, descriptions of why's and why not's for average home defense.
Pretty sure some of here could expand on authors thoughts and articles statements though? :)
Article overall? Good, short, sweet and simple basics work.

a good article, but.....how many people actually practice weekly? monthly?

i personally know 2 people right now, that bought guns back during the pandemic.

say around MAY or JUNE of last year.

where are those guns?

in the closet, collecting dust and cat hair.....i kid you not.

i am buying one, it's a S&W EZ 380. i will clean, lube, and fire it many times at the range, and then as my niece learns to shoot the G44 that i have, i will "graduate" her to the .380.

both those people bought the guns to be "safe".....well dammit, you gotta practice, practice, practice, otherwise, you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot.

i go to the range 2 times a week, sometimes 3...but i am retired, i got the time. working people MUST FIND the time to practice, otherwise, just having a gun in a closet, means nothing.

i figure/predict in short time, nearly 30% more NEW, NEVER used guns will come up for sale.

she paid $449.00 for her gun. i made an offer of $325. CASH......and she agreed.

her husband has G17, i already have one, but i'll offer him maybe $375 for his...cash..

i will not pay current pricing for 1 year old, NEW, NEVER fired guns with NO warranty

it's the way i roll. i don't NEED guns, i just want them....and maybe i'll "flip" them too, and recoup my costs, with a small profit!!

by the way, that ..380 that i am buying, is not under the hammer recall. i checked that all out first and foremost.

Thanks Hans, good to know that I have to figure in the additional $200 for the SBR’s if that’s the way that I go. I bought a .380 EZ for my wife, it is a nice little handgun, the ammo is really hard to come by at the moment at reasonable prices. I’m easing her into it slowly but 100% agree on shooting all of these firearms with as much regularity as possible. We also have a lot of gun safety talks with our 3 young kids. They are all fired up to learn to shoot and want to go hunting with me, even my girls, which gets me excited. Safety and practice are paramount though.

For me a 9mm, two clips and a box of shells.

1618531714927.png

I'm confused. Has the BATF declared the various Saint pistols now as SBRs? I bought my three Victor pistols legally, so an after-the-fact declaration that turns me into a criminal is not something that sits well with me.

P.S. regarding the usefulness of a pistol or SBR as an HD firearm... I can tell you that without a can on there, it would be something to behold. Especially at night! My first pistol was the Victor in 5.56. I envisioned it as my HD gun. The first time I pulled the trigger on it I was STUNNED at the insane volume of the report (keep in mind that I've shot and owned guns since I was 5 years old, back in the 1970s). The 7.62 and .300blk pistols unsupressed are loud as well. Just food for thought. My 9mm AR pistol is still my inside HD gun, because it's much quieter unsupressed, and of course less recoil. But outside, the Victors would be my choice. Suppressed, any of them would be much better inside guns I'm sure.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Has the BATF declared the various Saint pistols now as SBRs? I bought my three Victor pistols legally, so an after-the-fact declaration that turns me into a criminal is not something that sits well with me.

P.S. regarding the usefulness of a pistol or SBR as an HD firearm... I can tell you that without a can on there, it would be something to behold. Especially at night! My first pistol was the Victor in 5.56. I envisioned it as my HD gun. The first time I pulled the trigger on it I was STUNNED at the insane volume of the report (keep in mind that I've shot and owned guns since I was 5 years old, back in the 1970s). The 7.62 and .300blk pistols unsupressed are loud as well. Just food for thought. My 9mm AR pistol is still my inside HD gun, because it's much quieter unsupressed, and of course less recoil. But outside, the Victors would be my choice. Suppressed, any of them would be much better inside guns I'm sure.

If ATF decides that AR pistols are in the SBR category then your options are;

#1 - SBR them with a $200 tax stamp, or
#2 - get AR barrel non-SBR length uppers and swap them out, or
#3 - get 14.5/7" pinned or 16" AR barrels and have a gunsmith change out the barrels.

Note: With #3, depending on your AR pistol gas-system length you may have to get new gas tubes and/or handguards also.

My .02

Last edited:
I’ve spent good money and training time disproving at least 2 negative points the author made about shotguns. And at least one other point he made only applies to women, pre-teens and the elderly or handicapped.
That said I’m exactly the kinda guy who’s giving serious consideration to an unsupressed AR pistol in 5.56 as a HD weapon too so.....

I’ve spent good money and training time disproving at least 2 negative points the author made about shotguns. And at least one other point he made only applies to women, pre-teens and the elderly or handicapped.
That said I’m exactly the kinda guy who’s giving serious consideration to an unsupressed AR pistol in 5.56 as a HD weapon too so.....
To me article is mostly overly idealistic fluff. Barely any research. The "The .22s are terrific for plinking, small-game hunting and practice but they have no place in a home-defense lineup." is bit over baked. When it's proven .22's can drop bears with headshots? Yes, sure are better rounds, but if that's all what's on hand, making 'em count where is what matters most?

If ATF decides that AR pistols are in the SBR category then your options are;

#1 - SBR them with a $200 tax stamp, or
#2 - get AR barrel non-SBR length uppers and swap them out, or
#3 - get 14.5/7" pinned or 16" AR barrels and have a gunsmith change out the barrels.

Note: With #3, depending on your AR pistol gas-system length you may have to get new gas tubes and/or handguards also.

My .02
You could also just pin a 9” flash hider on the 7” barrel...kinda like the original Commandoes had.

But, I think they were referring to the actual Saint SBR models...

I was referring to the SBR models, not the pistol versions originally, you make really good points on the noise and flash if you ever needed to fire at night in close quarters. I think if the plan is to use a rifle caliber in that situation, having it suppressed is the most ideal. At the moment, I have my 9mm with a defense round chambered as my first go to, but was looking to expand upon that. I want to eventually have my whole family trained on a response. Shotguns are great for that initial intimidation effect, hopefully that initial pump action sound is all it takes to make the bad guy think twice and leave but solving for the next what if had me thinking more about SBR’s or AR pistols. I need to shoot something with a pistol brace.

Back