testtest

HOME DEFENSE ZERO

With my semi-autos 9mm handguns I kinda have to disagree with the 5 yard sight in. The reason being is you never know how things can unfold and should not assume the action will always be within 5 yards.

In my explanation I have a 1" sight height, I'm guessing your mp5 is higher than that. At a 5 yd sight in I would already be 3" high if the conflict spread out to 25 yds. With your higher sight height that offset would be much greater than the 3" at 25 yds.
View attachment 33286

At a 20 yd sight in I have a much flatter trajectory on my pistols. I am within zero to 1" low out past 50 yards. To me this leaves me with almost no thought about my offsets compared to the 5 yd sight in. Just shoot 1/2" high all the time and I'm good through 50 yds.
View attachment 33287

But then again, an mp5 at 800 rounds per minute fire rate probably ends the conflict before it spreads.

It's just what works for me.

I don’t know how big your house is, but…shots much longer than 20 feet are going to be pretty rare; my longest shot in my house, assuming I’m backed against one wall and my assailant is backed against another is 9 paces—so just over 25 feet.

Lots of chances for them to be much closer, though.

And I’m also planning on a worst case…
18BFE8AB-5E94-40C1-9D8E-91BEFAA52151.png
82555B52-9E0A-4DA3-A607-6372CE0025AD.jpeg

Sight offset will matter a LOT, there.

The article’s premise is a HD rifle. To me, this means dedicated tool, not a general purpose one.

I don’t know how big your house is, but…shots much longer than 20 feet are going to be pretty rare; my longest shot in my house, assuming I’m backed against one wall and my assailant is backed against another is 9 paces—so just over 25 feet.

Lots of chances for them to be much closer, though.

And I’m also planning on a worst case…View attachment 33288View attachment 33289

Sight offset will matter a LOT, there.

The article’s premise is a HD rifle. To me, this means dedicated tool, not a general purpose one.
Man oh man …. Wife better be nice that week.
May have to shoot thru 😉

Kidding … just kidding !!!🤪🤪🤪🤪

I really don't worry about the distance inside of my house. I figure that a 30 round mag will compensate for my lack of marksmanship! :)
I agree and disagree. I agree that it's nice to have firearms handy with large capacities. My Beretta APX with 21 round magazine for example...:) But, I also think that we should not expect that a lot of rounds will always do the trick and that marksmanship under stress is highly underrated.

There are a lot of factors when it comes to home self-defense as others who have replied to this thread have stated. We need to be realistic in the tactics and weapons we deploy so we are able to defend ourselves in a court of law if the situation gets to that point. I have relatives that live next door to me and across the street from me. My home defense strategy takes into effect that high velocity rounds that come out of rifles and certain handgun calibers can have the unintended circumstance of wounding a loved one, hence my preference for 9 mm and shotgun(12 or 20 gauge).

I have been blessed to have had martial arts students that were law enforcement professionals as well as one that is an attorney and I can still consult with.

One of my martial arts buddies from "across the pond"(England) who is a retired law enforcement officer told me something I will never forget and that I share with those who are open minded:
"In self-defense your goal is to win 4 battles. 1 - Battle with yourself to take action(don't freeze). 2 - Be able control or end the threat(deal with your opponent(s). 3 - Come out victorious in criminal court. 4 - Come out victorious in civil court."

I've been involved in martial arts and self-defense most of my adult life. The wisdom above is something some martial arts students/instructors and concealed carriers do not consider.

Finally, nothing taught me "verbal judo" better than working as an MHA(Mental Health Associate) being locked in with 15 or more patients in a mental hospital for 12 hour shifts. You learn to pick your battles and you learn to quickly adjust your attitude because once it gets physical, "somebody is gonna get hurt real bad." (To quote Mr. Peters the comedian...:)) If your home defense tactics do not include some type of de-escalation then in a court of law you might be shown to have been overly aggressive and wanting to cause bodily injury, not taking steps to avoid it.

2” is the difference between hitting the “hostage taker” in the T box and hitting the “hostage”.
Well, it could be.

For the record, and I think I already mentioned this, my 10.5" pistol, which would be my primary "Heavy rifle" type HD weapon, has a Viridian HS-1 on it which is zero'ed in at whatever distance I could still see the laser at. Which isn't very far. Maybe 15 yards.

My 44mag lever action hits where I want at 75yrds and I am foolish enough to think if you are in my bedroom doorway at approx 24ft it will do the same. Not being a sniper probably wouldn't shoot the hostage taker if my wife was the hostage but applaud those that feel comfortable in doing so.

Back