testtest

How many of you…..

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
How many of you pull your grips or stocks off your handguns and rifles to clean and oil under them? Also, is it just after you been shooting them or if they got caught in the weather? I try to clean under them at least once a year unless the guns get wet from the weather or from sweaty hands during summer months.

It is always in the back of my mind in the mental spreadsheet I keep on all the guns.
I make sure to wipe them good with the oily rag before they go on, and take them off rarely since I don't hunt or go afield with most of them.
I also break them down and use a q tip to spread an oily film inside their frames once in a while.
Messing around with them is a rewarding past time so I don't think of it as a problem.
I like to keep them better than new. (Since new guns are often dirty.)
One thing that I obsess over is the carbon rings around the chamber throats on the face of a cylinder. You can't let those go because they get worse and worse.

I remove grips (my 1911s) about every 3rd time. Mainly cause it makes it easier to get inside the magwell, wipe upward (lightly swipe over trigger bow, etc). Good to look around in there with a penlight or whatev…

I do NOT like oil between the grips & frame however so that gets wiped away with a dry cloth. Bushing screws left dry.

How many of you pull your grips or stocks off your handguns and rifles to clean and oil under them? Also, is it just after you been shooting them or if they got caught in the weather? I try to clean under them at least once a year unless the guns get wet from the weather or from sweaty hands during summer months.
i never did, until i got my first Rock Island Armory, 1911.

they load those things up with i imagine a "preservative" type of oil.?

crap was everywhere. i found that to be true of my Beretta 92 FS, and the Girsan as well.

i too might only remove the grips once a year for cleaning.

I routinely take the buttstock off of my cowboy rifles. My 1892 replica needs this to get at the hammer spring for further disassembly. The Lightning's buttstocks are removed just to keep them away from the cleaning liquids. Revolvers or pistols, not so much.

Back