testtest

How much is too much?

HVACDOC

Elite
Founding Member
I generally carry a knife, flashlight, sidearm, spare mag, essential ID, and some forms of payment on my body.
I have a small IFAK, backup flashlight, spare mag, extra clothing, blankets, food, and water in my vehicle.
I have considered a second firearm in the vehicle but have not committed to that as I do not want to return to it and find that I am facing my own firearm. I am currently researching secure ways to store a long gun in my vehicle to alleviate that issue.
What are your thoughts on how much gear is enough for everyday life? I know we all plan differently if we are doing something out of the norm but I am interested in your level of day to day gear.

I always carry a pocket knife, and have since about the 6th or 7th grade. I wouldn't be able to function without it, and don't know how anybody can. But, I wouldn't call it a survival knife, and about 75% of the time, it could use a good sharpening :). I like to carry a little cash also, always have ID, and don't venture out much without some way of protecting my loved ones and self from the evil that exists around us. Some times I have a spare mag, but a lot of the time I just have a .38 spcl +P snubby in my pocket, because it is so much easier to just pick it up on the way out the door. I don't normally carry a flashlight, IFAK (although I have been thinking about one of the ankle outfits), or blankets, food, water, etc. with me, although I have in the past. For me, it is kind of a balance between carrying what I am likely to need versus carrying everything I think I could need. This despite being an assistant scoutmaster back when my son was young and the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared." I probably didn't learn that lesson well enough, but in my defense, I was not a Boy Scout in my younger years, although I did spend a lot of time in the woods. Maybe I just learned to get by with what I had with me :).

Live and let live, to each his own. I just hope the utmost in safety and responsibility is realized concerning deadly ordinances. As for me, I roll with everything "on-body" unless required to temporarily use my lock box. So, ordinarily, very minimal. Good shooting.

I have carried a knife since I was 9 years old and always sharp. My dad taught me how to sharpen a blade.

These days I carry at least two and sometimes three knives . Small 2 blade Old Timer model 330 USA made , my Kershaw auto or a Buck model 295 assisted opener where the Kershaw isn't legal ( we don't have knife preemption in Illinois ) and sometimes a Kershaw Chive located somewhere on my body that I can reach with either hand.

I also carry my handgun , at least one and sometimes two mags or extra speed strips if carrying a revolver , and two flashlights. I carry a Streamlight Microstream in my shirt pocket and a Fenix PD20 in my front pants pocket.

How about a retractable baton!
I've considered carrying one but I can't find an accessable place to bring it along. With flashlight, knife, gun, and other things in tow I have run out of pockets/ belt space save looking like Batman. The balancing act mentioned by others above kind of pushed it out of the picture for me.

I have carried a knife since I was 9 years old and always sharp. My dad taught me how to sharpen a blade.
My Dad taught me as well. I keep mine sharp, but if I can't shave the hair on my arm, I don't think it is sharp enough. I use it so much, I have to buff up the edge every few days.

Live and let live, to each his own. I just hope the utmost in safety and responsibility is realized concerning deadly ordinances. As for me, I roll with everything "on-body" unless required to temporarily use my lock box. So, ordinarily, very minimal. Good shooting.
"Deadly ordnance." Just caught that, sorry.

Back