testtest

How To: Cold Weather Concealed Carry

Good article. It brings up some excellent points. In the fall I usually start doing my 21' drills with a jacket on. I use my IWB and OWB rigs. The reason being that at work I use my IWB rigs and I wear a level 3A vest. When I'm on my own time in cold weather I carry different guns and usually carry OWB. You really need to drill the way you carry.

I carry IWB year-round. If it gets cold enough to need a heavy jacket that interferes with access to my EDC weapon, I will throw a snub-nose revolver with a concealed hammer in my outer jacket pocket. This offers the ability to fire from the pocket in an absolute emergency when there is not time to access the gun in my waistband. I know that this will ruin my jacket if I ever have to do it, but I figure that would be the least of my worries in a situation that required immediate access to a firearm.

I carry IWB year-round. If it gets cold enough to need a heavy jacket that interferes with access to my EDC weapon, I will throw a snub-nose revolver with a concealed hammer in my outer jacket pocket. This offers the ability to fire from the pocket in an absolute emergency when there is not time to access the gun in my waistband. I know that this will ruin my jacket if I ever have to do it, but I figure that would be the least of my worries in a situation that required immediate access to a firearm.

I do this myself; the 442 loaded with SWC-HP’s is perfect in the role.

Even in a fleece vest pocket, it's light enough that it doesn’t drag one side down (particularly when the other pocket has a couple of speed loaders), and doesn’t have the angular “gun” profile.

In my heavier Carhartt insulated vest, it's like it's not even there.

Back