testtest

How to Deal with Tunnel Vision: The Sheriff’s Take

Thanks for posting Anni,
Tunnel vision can happen in any stressful situation. Understanding of whole possible situation beforehand helps alleviate that focus and it's sometimes shortcomings.... Too many times it's an afterthought. Like many things, issues are sometimes complex or multifaceted and not straight forward.

As mentioned in article, "The dance" is sometimes just pomp. The reasoning behind it was explained simply and straightforward which it often isn't. That's a big plus.

I am not visiting the link and my comments are not intended to address anything found in the linked article.

Training can help.. experience and repeated exposure to certain stresses, danger and the pressure associated with such situations can help desensitize. People are people but we are all wired a little different. Some people simply cannot manage high stress and are often a liability to themselves and others. Some people can learn to deal with high stress over time and still others may become desensitized to a certain degree via repeated exposure. This not always one or the other but rather a combination.

Many responses are simply autonomic, innate, instinctive and hardwired into our brain. Some of these responses are good and some can be hindersome. Understanding what to expect can go a long way to curbing or mitigating unwanted responses. I have never really benefited from breathing techniques and simply had to think my way through it, aka a mental roadmap. Certainly if you can escape or avoid danger, you should probably do that. If you cant, I would be inclined to focus on what needed to be done and set the rest aside in a separate mental box.

A person should probably not forget that dealing with and managing stress can extend beyond the specific crisis.

Last edited:
I am not visiting the link and my comments are not intended to address anything found in the linked article.

Training can help.. experience and repeated exposure to certain stresses, danger and the pressure associated with such situations can help desensitize. People are people but we are all wired a little different. Some people simply cannot manage high stress and are often a liability to themselves and others. Some people can learn to deal with high stress over time and still others may become desensitized to a certain degree via repeated exposure. This not always one or the other but rather a combination.

Many responses are simply autonomic, innate, instinctive and hardwired into our brain. Some of these responses are good and some can be hindersome. Understanding what to expect can go a long way to curbing or mitigating unwanted responses. I have never really benefited from breathing techniques and simply had to think my way through it, aka a mental roadmap. Certainly if you can escape or avoid danger, you should probably do that. If you cant, I would be inclined to focus on what needed to be done and set the rest aside in a separate mental box.

A person should probably not forget that dealing with and managing stress can extend beyond the specific crisis.
Logically, am thinking you really should read the link to comment on it. Otherwise, you may be acting just like what may have likely caused many of the issues in 1st place? Either way, it's your choice?

Other than that, you have very valid points.

Logically, am thinking you really should read the link to comment on it. Otherwise, you may be acting just like what may have likely caused many of the issues in 1st place? Either way, it's your choice?

Other than that, you have very valid points.

I am not having any issues

Its just that I am not really interested in reading an article posted somewhere else on the internet. I am interested in the personal opinions and personal experiences of people on this board that relate to self defense, personal safety and preparedness.

I will admit that I may not be very good at participating in discussions dominated by links. I will however, make the effort to try.

I am not having any issues

Its just that I am not really interested in reading an article posted somewhere else on the internet. I am interested in the personal opinions and personal experiences of people on this board that relate to self defense, personal safety and preparedness.

I will admit that I may not be very good at participating in discussions dominated by links. I will however, make the effort to try.

I don't always click on a link before I respond to a thread. A lot of times you already know from the title or the comments of other users. Or I may be responding to the comments by other users and not whatever content is in the article. Usually though it's because I have already seen the article outside the forum. That said there are a lot of informative and interesting articles posted by members here and I have no aversion to checking them out. I do understand the " Big Brother" aspect of internet perusion and I have dramatically reduced my internet footprint over the last year or so. I only participate in 2 on-line forums. I don't Facebook or any of that other crap. I also close every webpage and clear history and website data before going to another webpage. Yeah it means I have to log in here about 40 times a day, but it cuts out most of the data tracking and other nefariously intended internet spy $hi7 that goes on. I also use a pretty new Macbook with up to date inherent security protections.

Back