testtest

How to Perform a Slide Lock

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
With the record-breaking number of new gun owners comes the need to learn the basic information on the safe and proper use of firearms. One of the most commonly performed functions that semi-automatic pistol owners should understand is the slide lock.

How to Perform a Slide Lock

1640625220110.png

The news report of a negligent/accidental shooting a few days ago at a popular local public range has my friends and I wondering if this was a case of a newer shooter inappropriately manipulating the firearm while on-line....

One thing that the otherwise excellent article above did not address was that when at the range, on a shooting line, one should rotate one's body towards one's dominant side when attempting to manipulate the slide, in order to better keep one's muzzle pointed safely downrange.

The following WPS video, as well as Melody Lauer's, work well to demonstrate slide-racking/locking techniques:

So before everyone jumps down my throat I’m not advocating that firearm classes should be mandatory however I do firmly believe that all gun owners especially new gun owners should be offered or made aware of classes on proper gun handling and gun maintenance, this would go a long way in limiting these occurrences of accidents.

Last edited:
The news report of a negligent/accidental shooting a few days ago at a popular local public range has my friends and I wondering if this was a case of a newer shooter inappropriately manipulating the firearm while on-line....

One thing that the otherwise excellent article above did not address was that when at the range, on a shooting line, one should rotate one's body towards one's dominant side when attempting to manipulate the slide, in order to better keep one's muzzle pointed safely downrange.

The following WPS video, as well as Melody Lauer's, work well to demonstrate slide-racking/locking techniques:

To offer a critique of both videos, both failed to mention dropping the magazine to ensure that if your clearing the gun of a malfunction or getting ready to go into a cease fire by removing the mag ensures you will not be “reloading” the gun if the slide fails to lock back.
Gun safety is paramount.

So before everyone jumps down my throat I’m not advocating that firearm classes should be mandatory however I do firmly believe that all gun owners especially new gun owners should be offered or made aware of classes on proper gun handling and gun maintenance, this would go a long way in limiting these occurrences of accidents.

I agree. As a guy who has owned and carried guns nearly my entire 53 years on this planet, I can tell you I never knew how much I didn't know and needed to learn until I started taking different classes.

Back