testtest

How to Shoot A Handgun Long Range

Lot goes into it. Bob Munden and Jerry Miculek are something special. Military and LEO are something that is trained, and even with some of them they could care less about firing a gun. That article has posted some good points and one of the most important, to me is having a good plateform to shoot off of. Shooting at a distance with a pistol is no easy task. It is even more pronounced when you have a RDS on top how wiggly your pistol gets. A solid plateform is what helps me out a long shots. I referenced training a min ago and that’s what we do, or from what I have read that we do here. As Hans has said he shoots at 25yds and sometimes finish a few off at 50 to see where he hits. I’m the same way. I like to know where my pistol is hitting. 9mm will react/drop/drift differently than 45acp (of course) and its good to know where you will hit.

Very true.

It takes a lot of practice. And I wouldn’t recommend starting with your carry pistol. I would suggest a nice .22 pistol, start shooting at a 6” steel at 10 yards; one you can consistently hit it, move it back to 15...get good there, go to 20...and so on. Get your confidence together, and switch to a carry gun...at 10 yards...and so on.

If you start thinking it’s getting too easy...switch to a 4” steel.

The great thing about doing this is
you really get your fundamentals down.

Still, it’s very much a challenge...50 yards with a snub revolver can be frustrating.

But—one time a buddy put a cardboard silhouette right behind the 6” steel I was shooting at, on a day when I just couldn’t ring it with any consistency.

All my hits were just a little off...most within 1” of the steel...clustered high. If I was shooting for real, they’d all be solid stoppers.

I went to a police demonstration years ago. A gent by the name of Blankenship, a national firearms champion, was there representing Colt Firearms. He proceeded to shoot clay pigeons on a berm at 100 yards offhand with a 2 inch barreled Colt Python. Needless to say he shot that gun a lot. :)

Buddy hit 200 yards on a 8” plate with a Sig M17 (P320) 9mm
13C95FB6-24A8-4D96-A599-D35205355259.jpeg
4 times of 10 rounds. Was crazy 😳

Back