testtest

How To Survive For Three Days With No Water Or Power On $200

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
When you are prepared, three days is not that bad.

How To Survive For Three Days With No Water Or Power On $200

1614145932340.png

Good article, thanks again Talyn

Living out in the boonies may teach anyone to be more prepared? Other things to think about that are sometimes overlooked are our animals needs and their food. - Yes, animals snore!

Flashlights and cheap LED lanterns work great and are safe light sources around flammables like bedding and curtains. Batteries can fail, oil lamps are good long lasting reserves if caution is used around flammables. Propane tanks do not like much cold weather, from experience. Propane grill? If have room, keep a cheap charcoal fired BBQ grill for emergencies for cooking outside as a spare cooking source during cold weather. Charcoal keeps fairly well if stored dry.

When figuring out water supplies also figure in canned goods water, it is potable water source. Can cook with or drink it. Keep and make a pantry for long term food storage. Pantries can be as simple as cardboard boxes under a bed or in a closet. Also rotating food supplies keeps them fresher. Keep in mind expiration dates. Unopened year old saltine crackers can stink like something died! Always have plenty of back ups and some sort of plan A & B.

About every other year we are historically trapped at home for 4-5 days when the only way in or out is by boat and the river is in the backyard over the drain field and well head. We usually have power though. If we didn’t I have a herd of generators though. We usually have a couple days notice. Sometimes the older people on the street bail out. I always stay to protect my property and everyone else’s property from looters in boats.

This is precisely what was happening in April 2017. When the water hit my porch and the river was estimated to come up another 4’ I started taking guns, guitars and computers up into the attic. I shoved all my amps and PA gear in a van and pulled the van up onto my 16’ trailer and parked it on a high spot. Then we boated out and went to a hotel for 4 days. When we got back in the neighborhood all the stuff I put in the van and the attic was safe, but everything else we owned was destroyed. My house had 8” of water in it for 4 days. FYI flood insurance is a scam. They paid out 20k minus my 5k deductible. I took out a loan and gutted the house. Floor joists, subfloor,( interior walls were held up by bottle jacks) every bit of drywall and insulation, all new electrical and plumbing. Literally everything but the shell of the house and the roof. We stayed in a friend’s basement for 6 months to the day while I worked every day after work and every weekend rebuilding. Thank god I was formerly a carpenter/ general contractor and could do all the work myself. My electrician buddy helped me with the main and sub panels, service entrance and weather head. Everything else my wife and I did.
The house was built in ‘56 and had never flooded. The river levels broke records from 1903 by 4’. Unprecedented flooding. These days I am massively over-insured so if the 1000 year flood comes again we just walk away.

About every other year we are historically trapped at home for 4-5 days when the only way in or out is by boat and the river is in the backyard over the drain field and well head. We usually have power though. If we didn’t I have a herd of generators though. We usually have a couple days notice. Sometimes the older people on the street bail out. I always stay to protect my property and everyone else’s property from looters in boats.

This is precisely what was happening in April 2017. When the water hit my porch and the river was estimated to come up another 4’ I started taking guns, guitars and computers up into the attic. I shoved all my amps and PA gear in a van and pulled the van up onto my 16’ trailer and parked it on a high spot. Then we boated out and went to a hotel for 4 days. When we got back in the neighborhood all the stuff I put in the van and the attic was safe, but everything else we owned was destroyed. My house had 8” of water in it for 4 days. FYI flood insurance is a scam. They paid out 20k minus my 5k deductible. I took out a loan and gutted the house. Floor joists, subfloor,( interior walls were held up by bottle jacks) every bit of drywall and insulation, all new electrical and plumbing. Literally everything but the shell of the house and the roof. We stayed in a friend’s basement for 6 months to the day while I worked every day after work and every weekend rebuilding. Thank god I was formerly a carpenter/ general contractor and could do all the work myself. My electrician buddy helped me with the main and sub panels, service entrance and weather head. Everything else my wife and I did.
The house was built in ‘56 and had never flooded. The river levels broke records from 1903 by 4’. Unprecedented flooding. These days I am massively over-insured so if the 1000 year flood comes again we just walk away.

Is there any way to build a high-water **** (a banned word?), aka a long wall or embankment built to prevent flooding, around the house for protection?

I could see that word with a "y" being banned as 'derogatory', but with an "i"?

...and we wonder why our youth don't know how to speak, or write...they rely on these programs and 'algorithms' to tell them what's "correct".

Ugh.

Is there any way to build a high-water **** (a banned word?), aka a long wall or embankment built to prevent flooding, around the house for protection?
I considered building a short wall around the house except the driveways. I could sandbag those if need be. I could have had the house raised up out of the floodway but that was 35k.

Looking up? Look below too? In milder scenarios possibly some sort of drainage system like culverts, drain fields or drainage silos. In building or maintaining homes one thing to be aware of is elevation. Most things flow downhill, but there are pumps for all that four and five letter stuff too.

Back